The Student Room Group

Large vs. Small

CITY
where to apply? what do u think is the best solution?
large cities like London? Sydney? where you have uncountable number of opportunities but on the other hand it's enormously expensive and consequently it's hard to become fully independent from parents "sponsoring"

or is it better to chose a small town with rather calm enviroment where living expenses are lower? And is it better to study in a peacefull environment that does not offer that many distractions?

# OF STUDENTS
large student population w/ huge classes versus small comunity campuses where everybody knows everybody?
I think it depends what you're used to and what you'll be able to handle. If you're from a big city you might want a break from it or you might get bored if you went to a smaller city or town. On the flipside if you're from a small town you might want to go to a big city or you might feel completely overwhelmed.

I'm at Cardiff, which relatively is a small city compared to the likes of London, Brum, Manc etc but it's still got everything pretty much that you need with the advantage you can usually walk everywhere.

Similiarly there's a lot of students, there's about 100 people in my year on my course but I feel like I know a lot of them cause we have so much contact time and we're always being randomly paired up or grouped for assignments/labs. It's also good because although Cardiff is really a city university it has a feel of a campus university.

Yeah, anyways, should stop with the Cardiff promotion. I think the best combination depends entirely on the individual, we all like different things.
frivolous thread
Reply 3
parsimony
CITY
where to apply? what do u think is the best solution?
large cities like London? Sydney? where you have uncountable number of opportunities but on the other hand it's enormously expensive and consequently it's hard to become fully independent from parents "sponsoring"

or is it better to chose a small town with rather calm enviroment where living expenses are lower? And is it better to study in a peacefull environment that does not offer that many distractions?

# OF STUDENTS
large student population w/ huge classes versus small comunity campuses where everybody knows everybody?

I'd always say go for the best economically if you're worried about not being independent from your parents - in which case smaller town or campus is better. If I lived in a big city I know I would go shopping at least once a week and would have spent my entire loan by now!

Really though, don't choose your university based on this - look at reputation, course structure and facilities - the rest will pretty much fall into place. People make a big deal about where a university is but I'm not sure how much it matters - but then I come from an area where there are no unis within a one hour drive so location (city, campus) has never been a real issue - only how far the uni actually is from home!
Reply 4
it's weird... I've come to dundee (the fourth largest city in scotland) and ir's no bigger than my town back home... so it kinda suits me. Most other people here ither moan iit's too small (if they're one of the glasgow-crew) or that it's absalutely huge (they're form some obscure village/town)... i guess it depends what you're used to

In some ways I think small cities suit more sociable people because everywhere you go you know people and it's got more of a studenty feel etc. rather than the 'lost-in-the-crowd' feeling you can get somewhere huge...

lou xxx
Reply 5
lou p
it's weird... I've come to dundee (the fourth largest city in scotland) and ir's no bigger than my town back home... so it kinda suits me. Most other people here ither moan iit's too small (if they're one of the glasgow-crew) or that it's absalutely huge (they're form some obscure village/town)... i guess it depends what you're used to

In some ways I think small cities suit more sociable people because everywhere you go you know people and it's got more of a studenty feel etc. rather than the 'lost-in-the-crowd' feeling you can get somewhere huge...

lou xxx

Definitely agree! You always meet more sociable people in small towns IMO, yet large cities have the better rep for meeting those sorts of people. I personally feel more lonely in a large group of people I don't know than I do all alone in my room! But then I prefer cities, because I quite like the anonymity of it!
Reply 6
Angel_Cake
But then I prefer cities, because I quite like the anonymity of it!

yop anonymiti is kind of important bcause if everybody knows everybody and u live in a comunity rumours can make your life hell..especially if its a small city there is nowhere to escape
Reply 7
It depends which one suits you. I prefer the second choice though of having a small town with a calm environment followed by a low cost of living.
Reply 8
trev
It depends which one suits you. I prefer the second choice though of having a small town with a calm environment followed by a low cost of living.

u know i would prefer a large city where u can just dissapear with low cost of living :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending