Suggestions for a wet keyboard Watch

This discussion is closed.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Last night I inadvertently spilled my drink over my keyboard. I've let it dry out overnight, and this morning it started working briefly, but then it stopped working again. Should I just cut my losses and get a new one?
python05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would!
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you typing with your mouse? :eek:
EPD
Lol, no, I'm in the hall computer room.
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep. Or take all the keys off and dry the inside of it?
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
Lol, no, I'm in the hall computer room.
lol, ok then! One of my friends poured a drink on his keyboard and had to buy a new one, so you might have to.
EPD
Hmm, I thought about that, but it sounds quite time consuming. Then again, so would trekking into town to get a new one (I need it this weekend for work, really)
parsimony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Once the same happened to you and i tried to dry it ( i even took all the keys out) and it took me so much time..and the GOOD NEWS is that it DIDN'T work afterwards neither : )) so my advice: get a new one
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My keyboard got wet once, and I left it for about a week and it worked fine! I guess it depends how wet it got, but wait a bit before deciding
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would leave it to dry out for a while before deciding.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Take the keys off, remove any water you can see - you'll probably need to dis-assemble the whole keyboard. It may still not work if it shorted out some of the electrics; but may be worth a try.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just fork out the £20 and stop being a baby or nick one from school i did!
rainjan_4now
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my mum brought one of those cordless keyboard and mouse sets from PC world that i had to wet when throwing a cushion at my brother- spilling his drink on and in the keyboard temporarily paralysing it. After getting shouted at on 2 accounts, we left it to dry for about 4 days and it worked fine.
python05
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you are gonna take it apart, take a photo of it before you do!
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Buy a new one and remember not to put liquids near the computer!!!! ( O say this with varius cups aroundme!)
dreamer86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had to get a new one...
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Spilt orange juice on mine, but I quickly unplugged it and set it upside down over a sink for about an hour.
Then I got little bits of tissue paper where I could still see juice between the keys, and stuffed corners of the paper down into the keys. It worked pretty well to absorb alot of the juice.
Problem is, the juice had actual orange bits in it, which have always remained between the keys, and now my num pad has "slow return" keys .
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when that happened to me i just switched it with one at school
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you spill a drink a keyboard, best thing to do is hoover it up straight away... works a treat (but it may be too late for yours now)

lou xxx
EPD
Well I've got myself a new one now, but I've kept the old one. Might be fun to take apart or smash up one day
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads