?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Poll coming!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would rather get a first from a less respected university than a 3rd from a top university. People will disagree with that but it is my opinion.

I chose Plymouth University over some much higher placed universities in the league tables because I liked the location, uni itself and the course.
Chardonnay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Keep the votes and posts coming peeps
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
Heh, 50/50. What a choice! Keep advice coming peeps
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would go to a uni with a course that I like and can handle with a worst nightlife and rep. I don't think in the future that I will go to student union activities and events that much anyway. I would rather get a good degree from a uni instead.
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
I would go to a uni with a course that I like and can handle with a worst nightlife and rep. I don't think in the future that I will go to student union activities and events that much anyway. I would rather get a good degree from a uni instead.
But is it better to get a first from Soton, or a 2:1 from Bristol? Hmm! :idea:
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would have thought the one with the course that suits you better.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chardonnay)
They are both good uni's though, so there can't be much comparison.
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
They are both good uni's though, so there can't be much comparison.
True. But there's no that much between the courses for her either. She really like the Soton one, but think the Bristol one is ok.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Easily first one for me.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chardonnay)
a first from soton. there isn't that much difference between the two.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In the end a good degree classification is better than judging about the nightlife and those kinds of stuff. :p:
Gregorian IV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'd go with numero uno. If they pass a good course then they can get a lot of money so thenthey can have an active nightlife!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I personaly would rather good nightlife, if I was in a town that I hated I would have no motivated to work hard, good social life is just as important as anything else in my opinion. Remember you have to spend at least three years there so you will want to at least be happy there.

I had a very different criteria when choosing universities, what was important for me was a university that did the course I want to do, due to my lack of Maths Salford, MMu and Bolton were the only viable options.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I voted for the first one, when applying for jobs the rep of the uni will be of advantage and plus if you dont like the course, you shouldnt have applied in the first place. Plus it depends on the individual but a rigid course structure wouldnt be that bad as you're studying the area you've initially chosen.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the course is the most important thing to be honest. If you don't like the course you are likely find it boring and not do as well. I would choose Soton over Bristol anyway, and if you like the course better why not go there?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I think the course is the most important thing to be honest. If you don't like the course you are likely find it boring and not do as well. I would choose Soton over Bristol anyway, and if you like the course better why not go there?
But you may hate the location in which would be just punishing yourself. I think social factors are often underestimated when choosing a university. People often pick with numbers and statistics then when they get their realise its actually in RiotVille and the nearest club is 25 miles away.

Such as

http://www.cynical*******s.com/ubs/
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
^That website is still about. That uni is obviously fake, why don't they take the website down? It's kind of annoying me.

Nightlife is not that important, as you can go somewhere near for a good nightlife anyway. As I said before, a good course and/or uni is important.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A university may have a good rep, but the course/department you want may be poor. If the course is poor, you're less likely to excel and reach your potential?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
^That website is still about. That uni is obviously fake, why don't they take the website down? It's kind of annoying me.

Nightlife is not that important, as you can go somewhere near for a good nightlife anyway. As I said before, a good course and/or uni is important.
I know its fake, its just a bit of fun.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.59%
No (157)
74.41%

Watched Threads