This discussion is closed.
wippa_dippa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi All!

Long story short: I'm completing GCSE Maths through flexistudy (I only have contact with a Tutor through post/phone).

My coursework has just been sent back with the comment:
"Beautifully presented and clearly argued but the investigation asked you to COMPARE the greatest and least perimeters and you have barely touched on that. The comment you do make is right, but you need to expand on it."

The investigation was:
Tile Perimeters - investigate the greatest and least perimeters of patterns made with a give number of tiles. (This was the only information I was given and there was no mention on the mark scheme either about comparing results, so that's why I didn't do it )

The conclusion I came to was:
The least perimeter for a given number of tiles will be for a shape with as many sides touching as possible. The least perimeter overall is 6 (for a 2 tile shape) as only one pattern can be made from the tiles regardless of how they are placed together. (See shape number 1). Looking at my diagrams, I can see from my early results into the investigation of patterns using 4 tiles, that the shape with as many edges touching as possible is a square and that any of the patterns which include a square (see shapes 5, 9, 13 & 14) also provide a lesser perimeter than the other patterns using a given number of tiles.
The greatest perimeter is therefore obtained from a given number of tiles with as few sides touching as possible. Looking at my diagrams, I can see that the shape guaranteed to have as few edges touching as possible is a rectangle, 1 cm tile in width, (see shapes 1, 2, 4 & 11). Although other patterns can provide the same perimeter using a given number of tiles, the (1 cm tile width) rectangle is the only shape that is guaranteed to have the fewest edges touching and the largest perimeter.

Any ideas about how to compare and expand on my comments? Took me ages just to get this far! :confused:

Thanks for looking!

Wippa :hello:
manps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
this isnt a specific answer but you may find your coursework at
http://www.coursework.info
you can use this site for ideas
good luck
manps
wippa_dippa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by manps)
this isnt a specific answer but you may find your coursework at
http://www.coursework.info
you can use this site for ideas
good luck
manps
Thanks for the reply!

I've just looked at the site (thanks!) and they've done similar to me, they haven't compared anything. I think the problem here is that I was given the investigation title and the mark scheme and there was nothing on either of those asking for a comparison of the greatest and least results. I haven't got a clue how to compare them!

Wippa
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads