This discussion is closed.
Tortoise
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello, I recently moved to Britian and am thinking about taking a level maths part time. The only ones offeriing it close to me is Coventry City College I think, and this is what they say:

AS (Advanced Supplementary) is the first part of an A level course. It is possible to take AS just on its own or continue your studies and take the full A level. On this flexible course, you can take AS Pure Mathematics on Monday evening and/or AS Applied Mathematics on Tuesday evening. If you attend college on both evenings, you will achieve a full A level in one year. There are three units of Mathematics in each AS level:-

* Pure mathematics:

There are three modules, Pure 1, Pure 2 and Pure 3

* Applied mathematics- Mechanics:

Mechanics modules 1 & 2

* Applied Mathematics- Statistics:

There is only one module, Statistics 1

It seems weird to me that two AS levels gives and A level, is not A2 supposed to be harder than AS? Is the combo offered above "the easy route" and frowned upon by universities? Should I rather study "pure mathematics" by distance learning?

What will I need to be able to study for instance physics or even maths and physics at a good university? (currently doing a BA at Warwick, but would like to do a second degree).

Cheers!
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tortoise)
Hello, I recently moved to Britian and am thinking about taking a level maths part time. The only ones offeriing it close to me is Coventry City College I think, and this is what they say:

AS (Advanced Supplementary) is the first part of an A level course. It is possible to take AS just on its own or continue your studies and take the full A level. On this flexible course, you can take AS Pure Mathematics on Monday evening and/or AS Applied Mathematics on Tuesday evening. If you attend college on both evenings, you will achieve a full A level in one year. There are three units of Mathematics in each AS level:-

* Pure mathematics:

There are three modules, Pure 1, Pure 2 and Pure 3

* Applied mathematics- Mechanics:

Mechanics modules 1 & 2

* Applied Mathematics- Statistics:

There is only one module, Statistics 1

It seems weird to me that two AS levels gives and A level, is not A2 supposed to be harder than AS? Is the combo offered above "the easy route" and frowned upon by universities? Should I rather study "pure mathematics" by distance learning?

What will I need to be able to study for instance physics or even maths and physics at a good university? (currently doing a BA at Warwick, but would like to do a second degree).

Cheers!
Hi. I am going to be studying Maths (well Maths and Philosohy) at uni next year.If you want to do either a Maths or Physics degree at a good uni, then I'd strongly suggest doing the whole A-level.

For Maths it is essential that you have at least this and if you're definately considering Maths it may even be worth looking into doing Further Maths (which is basically just more modules) at least as an AS level, as this is highly desirable at alot of instututions (such as Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, Nottingham, Bath...), and if you like maths it's good fun anyway.

I think that Maths as a full A-level is a mandatory requirement for most physics courses too, as Physics covers a great deal of applied maths, though maybe a physicist could clarify that.
Tortoise
will the combination P1, P2, P3, M1, M2, S1 give a full A level? Coventry city college claims so in their brochure, but it seems weird to me. Too easy, if you know what I mean.
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
will the combination P1, P2, P3, M1, M2, S1 give a full A level? Coventry city college claims so in their brochure, but it seems weird to me. Too easy, if you know what I mean.
Yes, the requirements for an A-level are 6 modules including P1-3 so it will definately give you a full A-level.
Tortoise
Hi, thanks for the help. Good luck with maths and phil, I'm currenty doing a BA in philosophy, it's lots of fun
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi, thanks for the help. Good luck with maths and phil, I'm currenty doing a BA in philosophy, it's lots of fun
Thanks, hope your degree goes well.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.75%
No (183)
76.25%

Watched Threads