how difficult to get a first class degree?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
blueflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I'm an international student not studying at my home uni in the UK at the moment. So I have a quick question here. How difficult is it to finish at an undergrad level with a first class honours degree? Do you need an overall og over 70%? And whats the average student percentage getting one?

Any information on this matter would be great. Thanks in advance
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How long's a piece of string? :rolleyes:
Kinbote
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blueflower)
Hi,

I'm an international student not studying at my home uni in the UK at the moment. So I have a quick question here. How difficult is it to finish at an undergrad level with a first class honours degree? Do you need an overall og over 70%? And whats the average student percentage getting one?

You do indeed normally require an average of 70% or more.
SoFf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blueflower)
Hi,

Hi

As was said, it depends on the course and the uni. Go to http://www.unistats.com, type the specific course and the specific uni and you'll get the exact percentages.

Good luck!
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 10 years ago
Around 12% of all graduates are currently getting firsts nationwide
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's increasing.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SoFf)
Hi

As was said, it depends on the course and the uni. Go to http://www.unistats.com, type the specific course and the specific uni and you'll get the exact percentages.

Good luck!
oo 29% 1st class hons at my uni... i guess theres still hope for me haha.
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Consulting your lecturers asking them to provide constructive criticism helps with this and also shows you're interested in the subject etc.
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is anyone worried that firsts are going to be inflated in the future? I hope doesn't become equivalent to what A-levels are now.
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Consulting your lecturers/tutors and asking them to provide constructive criticism helps with this and also shows you're interested in the subject etc.
Constructive criticism on what?
Your essays will already have comments on them...

:clip:
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by paperclip)
Constructive criticism on what?
Your essays will already have comments on them...
They may not accept a first draft as such, and the assignment can encompass various areas of work other than just essays e.g. lab reports, question sheets, application development etc
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Is anyone worried that firsts are going to be inflated in the future? I hope doesn't become equivalent to what A-levels are now.
I think we're a long way away from that. A 1st class degree is a good way of sorting out who is really good, far better than just A levels.

In my department there were about 210 students and I think 10 were awarded 1sts. The entry requirements are ABB and out of people I spoke to a good number on my course had AAA, which is probably why there was a high number of 2:1s.

1sts are hard because of the consistency element, on any one module you would usually find the highest score was 75-76, and few people got over 72, so to get a 1st you had to be getting around 67-72 on every module....one bad module makes it really hard to catch up because you can't balance it out with a big score to get marks in the bank.

There was a girl on my course who had one exam in the summer of her 2nd year, which was a week after her other exams (and her friends) had finished, she openly bragged that she 'didn't give one' about this module and was going to party with her friends. She ended up getting 53 for it, which ultimately killed off her chances of getting a 1st, which was frustrating as she averaged 70 in her 3rd year. I think we worked out if she had got 63/64 or something in that bad module, she would have got a 1st.
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Oh it's already happening:

In 2007
11.7% got a 1st
45.3% got a 2.1,
29.2% got a 2.2
6.5% got a 3rd

In 1995
7.2% got a 1st
42.2% got a 2.1
37.0% got a 2.2
5.6% got a 3rd

The number absolute number of firsts has doubled in that time and is approaching a percentage double. Also note the shrinking of the 2:2 and the fattening of the 2:1
Yazmina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Oh it's already happening:

In 2007
11.7% got a 1st
45.3% got a 2.1,
29.2% got a 2.2
6.5% got a 3rd

In 1995
7.2% got a 1st
42.2% got a 2.1
37.0% got a 2.2
5.6% got a 3rd

The number absolute number of firsts has doubled in that time and is approaching a percentage double. Also note the shrinking of the 2:2 and the fattening of the 2:1
You've also got to remember 1995 was nearly 19 years ago and many universities which are not so highly regarded have opened up which are probably easier to get firsts in.. This is of course just an assumption.
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yazmina)
You've also got to remember 1995 was nearly 19 years ago and many universities which are not so highly regarded have opened up which are probably easier to get firsts in.. This is of course just an assumption.
Im not sure how many universities have been set up since 1995 but its after the polytechnics became universities in 1992. Also, I doubt these newer universities have higher numbers of firsts than in the 'traditional' universities.
Yazmina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Im not sure how many universities have been set up since 1995 but its after the polytechnics became universities in 1992. Also, I doubt these newer universities have higher numbers of firsts than in the 'traditional' universities.
Actually you're right, after doing a random sample on unistats.. on average first class degrees are more common coming from 'traditional' universities.

Interesting..
JohnnySPal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SoFf)
Hi

Good luck!
At the bottom of my course page it said "based on first year results" or some shizzle like that.

In my opinion that's very important - if indeed the pie chart represents what first years attained (it's unclear whether that comment applies to the chart) then it's ain't gonna reflect what people are actually leaving with. The first year of my course is generally perceived to be way easier than the others.

As for the question posed by the OP: It's much less likely you'll get a first by dint of determination alone, and you can't really change that. It's not worth worrying about difficulty and odds and shizzle. Just enjoy uni and work moderately hard throughout your three/four years (also, post on TSR subject forums if ya get stuck :p:)
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by yazima)
Actually you're right, after doing a random sample on unistats.. on average first class degrees are more common coming from 'traditional' universities.

Interesting..
Not really, they will have higher admissions standards and you would expect to turn out more firsts as a result.

And wohoo for my course -- more firsts than 2.1s
Sh4w
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yazmina)
Nearly 19 years ago?!
2008-1995 = ....
Yazmina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sh4w)
Nearly 19 years ago?!
2008-1995 = ....
oopsie I meant 14!
duh
:stupido3:
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.55%
Excited (156)
9.15%
Worried (306)
17.95%
Terrified (379)
22.23%
Meh (166)
9.74%
Confused (37)
2.17%