Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going up for the open day there (look at my signature)...anyone else going up to Cuths too?

If anyone from Cuths is on this board then can u tell me whether Cuths is as bad as people make it out to be? Is living seperately that bad?

ALSO MY BIG QUESTION was that I will DEFINATELY take a Gap Year (if I make Durham my firm choice) in which I will be doing a Year in Industry. From what I read on the Cuths site and the prospectus they are developing brand new student halls which will be ready in 2006. Does this mean that if I do take a gap year I will get a chance to stay in the halls in 2006? Or am I totally mistaken and there are no student halls being built? I''m sure I read about some development coming up at Cuths in 2006...can someone please clear this up?

I look forward to seeing u on the 22nd evenin den!

By the way I made a thread earlier asking about Cuths, and if anyone needs some info on the college you can look here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t86729.html

ReputationRep:
    The university is building a whole new college, which I think is due to open in 2006 - not sure though. I have absolutely no idea about Cuth's but I haven't heard that they're building anything new (by the way, we don't call them halls in Durham ;-) ).

As for what Cuth's is like, all my friends who were there loved it but it is quite different to the colleges. Many people enjoy the independence of living in houses rather than in college, but on the other hand Cuth's does have some properties in the centre of town so people living there probably have a similar experience to the rest of Durham's freshers. I'm sure you'll get a better idea once you visit - the open days are always good no matter which college.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I went up 4 interview last monday and had an interview with the senior tutor at St. Cuthbert's.

He said that from 2005 all 1st years will be housed in 2 separate college buildings.

He also said that from 2006 something like 200 of the 3rd years can be housed in a brand new building as well. so i guess 4 people from 2005 we'll be housed in our 1st and possibly also our 3rd year.

I've applied to do theology at Durham, haven't heard from them yet regarding offers tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheliscool)
    Hey
    I went up 4 interview last monday and had an interview with the senior tutor at St. Cuthbert's.

He said that from 2005 all 1st years will be housed in 2 separate college buildings.

He also said that from 2006 something like 200 of the 3rd years can be housed in a brand new building as well. so i guess 4 people from 2005 we'll be housed in our 1st and possibly also our 3rd year.

I've applied to do theology at Durham, haven't heard from them yet regarding offers tho.
    OMG that is AMAZING NEWS! Thanks! And any idea where these 2 seperate college buildings are located? ANd what facilities they have? I am going up on the 22nd so will find out more then too!

And what did you think of the place? Did you like it?

ReputationRep:
    yes is great news. i dnt think v. far from the old st. cuths building but i'm not sure. and yes i loved durham had a really nice studenty atmosphere! st. cuths tutor wz v. nice too. :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    oo also just incase u didn't realise they'll still b using the current st. cuths 4 1st years, but will also hv the new st. cuths building 4 1st years as well... so it'll b 2 buildings 4 1st yrs plus 1 for 3rds.

ReputationRep:
    omg,

if i guess right, the new halls they talk about are the ones they are building near New College (which has just become part of durham uni cos the power that decides has a passion for letting in under achieving locals, another 10 places down the league table we go *sigh*)
    anyway, those halls are miles away, 40min walk into town ne1?? one of my housemates left cuthberts for hatfield this year, seemed quite easy. i suggest if u cant get into hatfield/university college initially then change college 1st/2nd yr as my housemate has never 'lived' in at cuths (hes a finalist), and hes not exactly impressed with that.

non nobis solum,

samuel duncan

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.