This discussion is closed.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am doing a-level maths and further maths.
I am doing M1-M3 this year, already done M1.
I also thought that I was doing C1-C4 this year, but it turns out that I am only doing C1 and C2 in my first year!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Mainly cos half my class is bad at maths. Two people gave up the course after C1. Instead I am doing C3 and C4 in Jan 06.

Okay, this introduces many problems.
Firstly I won't have the pure calculus skills needed for M3. My mechanics teacher thinks we are doing C3 this year.
Secondly, will I have an AS grade in maths in 2005? NO! Will this affect my uni offers at all?
Furthermore, I wanted to have a relatively comfortable 2nd year of a-levels but instead I have to do M4, M5, C3, C4, FP1 and FP2/FP3 in one year!

Any comments?
iluvcheesecake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Widowmaker)
I also thought that I was doing C1-C4 this year, but it turns out that I am only doing C1 and C2 in my first year!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Mainly cos half my class is bad at maths. Two people gave up the course after C1. Instead I am doing C3 and C4 in Jan 06.

Firstly I won't have the pure calculus skills needed for M3. My mechanics teacher thinks we are doing C3 this year.
Secondly, will I have an AS grade in maths in 2005? NO! Will this affect my uni offers at all?
Furthermore, I wanted to have a relatively comfortable 2nd year of a-levels but instead I have to do M4, M5, C3, C4, FP1 and FP2/FP3 in one year!

Any comments?
If you've done C1, C2 and M1 by this summer, you will have a AS grade for 2005 won't you? :confused: If not then get your techers to mention and explain exactly what you've done and are going to do on your reference and depending on your results maybe even put in some individual module results. I don't think it's a problem as alot of schools/individuals don't even cash in AS results.

As for doing 7 modules in one year, I think it's doable, but perhaps start working on C3/C4 independently after your AS levels and maybe try to even get through all of one (or both) of them by September, so you can really focus on the further maths next year. If you're applying to do maths at uni that would sould impressive on your application too.
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well that sucks, dude! It will, as you say, affect your applied modules, because they assume pure knowledge...It depends on your mechanics teacher - will he/she teach the pure when it's needed, or JUST the mechanics, assuming the pure? Or they could at least give you a heads up the week before on the pure needed...Elsewise they aren't a good teacher in my book...Have you thought about asking your pure teacher for extra lessons, or an offer of extra-help if you were to teach yourself...C3 and C4 is fun!
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Teach yourself m8.

My teachers are so crap, i'm teaching c1-c4, m1, s1 myself. The edexcel C1-C4 books are really good. Along with solomon papers, specimen paper & past paper [january] you can get an A if you try hard & have motivation.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Teach yourself C3 and C4. You're only doing 3 other ASs so you should have enough time to practice C3 and bits of C4. Then you'll have the summer to get good at those and could even take those in November if it's available.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
(Original post by endeavour)
Teach yourself C3 and C4. You're only doing 3 other ASs so you should have enough time to practice C3 and bits of C4. Then you'll have the summer to get good at those and could even take those in November if it's available.
thanks, have you read my pm?
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Instead I am doing C3 and C4 in Jan 06.
Why not discuss your thoughts with your teachers. Tell them you will teach yourself the modules and take them this summer.

Self teaching is the answer. It also looks good on your uni application.

Work independently. You could self teach C3 and C4 before June so you have the calcus skills you need. You can then practice C3/C4 and do FP1/FP2/M4 etc. during the summer while on holiday.

It's very possible to do 7 modules in one year. I'm doing 9 + AEA + Bio/ICT/General studies.
manps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
Teach yourself m8.

My teachers are so crap, i'm teaching c1-c4, m1, s1 myself. The edexcel C1-C4 books are really good. Along with solomon papers, specimen paper & past paper [january] you can get an A if you try hard & have motivation.
just a note that the jan c1/c2 papers are on mrmaths.com with model solutions. The june solutions will appear along with the papers shortly after the exams are sat
Christophicus
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice guys. I've read some C3 chapters and the M3 work is a lot clearer.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Widowmaker)

Any comments?
Sorry, I meant further maths as well.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads