Why negative associations with queen? Why do you associate time with hippies? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Gulnaz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've been holding out a questionnaire on your forums, on British concepts, and many people have negative associations with king/queen, they call them waste of money, archaic, leech, self-centered rulers, cost us 60p a year. I'm Russian and don't know what is going on in your country. Could you help and say, why do so many people have negative associations with monarchy. Do they take additional taxes or what, maybe concerning money?

one more questions that annoyes me is why do Brirish people associate tome with hippies. How are they interconnected?

Thank you
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Personally I don't think that the UK can be a truly democratic state whilst there is still a monarch.

The cost is an issue but compared with the country's income/spending they cost a miniscule amount.

The money could be pumped into schools/hospitals though.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People generally dont like the Queen as they were born into their positions and just take alot of money in tax when they dont even need it..for example the Duke of Westminister gets £12 million a yr just for owning land in London (govt. subsidies). Plus it may be a small amount, but its still a small amount (relatively) going to a very small number of people, who dont need it. Plus they do no work.
hazzie1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Queen is annoying, all the daily mail readers are so concerned about her and her family and she just sits around making money. Not to mention Prince Philip, who is an embaressment to our country. Her priveleges annoy me, because it's accident of birth. And I want her crown.
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I think the Queen i think wrinkles, old, scraggy, smelly, dirty, the works, if only we could have hot looking monarchs instead of ones that looked like they came out of the sewer.

thank you
lukeD
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I don't like the monarchy because:

(a) They are not, in my opinion, good representatives for Britain. Prince Phillip has disgraced himself many times, Prince Harry has shown himself to be a idiot on numerous occaisions...

(b) I do not like the fact that they are given money just because they were born into the royal family. I appreciate that the amount they receive is not very much in relation to the rest of the UK budget, but the education and health sectors need all the funding they can get.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My problem with the monarchy lies in the paradox that I resent them for doing absolutely nothing and yet don't want them to have any political clout simply for having been born royalty. They have no choice but to be useless and as such we don't really need them.

Think about the fees that have been paid for Prince Harry's schooling and what do you get at the end of it? Not a lot to be frank. Over-priviliged and lacking intelligence - unattractive combination.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
englishstudent, I recognise that avatar...!

I agree with the misrepresentation of British people. On top of that, many of them seem to be not very nice people (with the exception of a couple).

But American fascination with the royals is quite amusing. And I remember watching something on TV which showed George Bush being quite intimidated by the Queen, mwhahaha.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)
englishstudent, I recognise that avatar...!
Probably because I googled avatar and clicked on the first site (or second). :rolleyes:
hazzie1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)

But American fascination with the royals is quite amusing. And I remember watching something on TV which showed George Bush being quite intimidated by the Queen, mwhahaha.
yes, I saw that! tis hilarious, and shows they do have at least one use. Maybe she could tell him to get lost and stop trying to 'liberate' the world
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads