The Student Room Group

How long does it take for iron to be absorbed?

Specifically non heme iron from an iron supplement. How long does it take to be absorbed into the bloodstream? And therefore when is the best time to eat after taking the supplement?

It says take on empty stomach first thing in morning or two hours after eating or 1 hour before eating. But it's not optimal unless your stomach is really empty.

So I'm wondering once you take it, when is the optimal time to eat so that the food doesn't get in the way of iron absorption?

Extra details:
I am trying to take 2 doses of 27.5g liquid iron a day, although I have been prescribed 3 doses, I think that may be too much. I was prescribed iron for 3 months which I took 3 times a day and didn't have a great increase in serum ferritin, so am told to be on it for another 3 months.

Not on 3 doses yet as I am trying to avoid hepcidin increase (natural iron blocker in response to high iron) and nausea

Any help would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Any ideas?
Reply 2
Original post by debussydream
Specifically non heme iron from an iron supplement. How long does it take to be absorbed into the bloodstream? And therefore when is the best time to eat after taking the supplement?

It says take on empty stomach first thing in morning or two hours after eating or 1 hour before eating. But it's not optimal unless your stomach is really empty.

So I'm wondering once you take it, when is the optimal time to eat so that the food doesn't get in the way of iron absorption?

Extra details:
I am trying to take 2 doses of 27.5g liquid iron a day, although I have been prescribed 3 doses, I think that may be too much. I was prescribed iron for 3 months which I took 3 times a day and didn't have a great increase in serum ferritin, so am told to be on it for another 3 months.

Not on 3 doses yet as I am trying to avoid hepcidin increase (natural iron blocker in response to high iron) and nausea

Any help would be much appreciated

best advice is to consult with a doctor that actually knows what he/she/it is actually doing. I think absorption varies with a lot of factors. This is something that can surely be identified if you ask a doctor. + dont exceed your medication!
Reply 3
Original post by notashraf
best advice is to consult with a doctor that actually knows what he/she/it is actually doing. I think absorption varies with a lot of factors. This is something that can surely be identified if you ask a doctor. + dont exceed your medication!

Thank you for your reply, that is what I will do when I talk to them next about my results

Quick Reply

Latest