Turn on thread page Beta

The primary use of guns? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After having this discussion with someone on MSN I thought it might be an idea to see what the rest of you think.

Guns are designed to kill, unlike knifes for instance, they have no primary use ahead of killing, whether animal or Human. What do you think the primary use of guns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    After having this discussion with someone on MSN I thought it might be an idea to see what the rest of you think.

Guns are designed to kill, unlike knifes for instance, they have no primary use ahead of killing, whether animal or Human. What do you think the primary use of guns?
    Correction: Guns are designed to fire bullets at a high velocity. They are not machines made to kill. The thing that the bullet is being fired toward is based on the sole discretion of the human using it--thus selecting the purpose of the gun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Correction: Guns are designed to fire bullets at a high velocity. They are not machines made to kill. The thing that the bullet is being fired toward is based on the sole discretion of the human using it--thus selecting the purpose of the gun.
    Tell me though, what possible use is this high velocity bullet, what practical use would it have?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me though, what possible use is this high velocity bullet, what practical use would it have?
    To put a hole in and damage an object.

ReputationRep:
    To put a hole in and damage an object.
    Since when is that practical in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Since when is recreation required to be practical?

ReputationRep:
    Since when is recreation required to be practical?
    Well, sport as a recreation usually gives physical benefits, therefore is practical, making holes and damaging things with a high velocity bullet is not.

ReputationRep:
    Well, sport as a recreation usually gives physical benefits, therefore is practical, making holes and damaging things with a high velocity bullet is not.
    The improvement of hand-eye coordination, as well as the improvement of fluid movement, would be two excellent physical benefits.

ReputationRep:
    The improvement of hand-eye coordination, as well as the improvement of fluid movement, would be two excellent physical benefits.
    So then why are guns not limited explicitly to recreation?

ReputationRep:
    So then why are guns not limited explicitly to recreation?
    Because they can be used for other purposes, which some evildoers prefer. It's the same as why knives aren't used strictly as utensils for cutting: because some people use them for alternative purposes...

ReputationRep:
    Because they can be used for other purposes, which some evildoers prefer. It's the same as why knives aren't used strictly as utensils for cutting: because some people use them for alternative purposes...
    But knifes are used in many practical jobs where they are required for various aspects of work.

ReputationRep:
    They can be used to hurt (physically) or scare people, rather than solely to kill eg by the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    They can be used to hurt (physically) or scare people, rather than solely to kill eg by the police.
    That is still using them offensively against other humans or animals.

ReputationRep:
    But knifes are used in many practical jobs where they are required for various aspects of work.
    Then i'll use the example of a bow and arrow. Practically, it has about the same use as a gun, because it can be used recreationally, or it can be used for harm. Because some people use the item for alternative purposes, should no one be able to do archery?

ReputationRep:
    That is still using them offensively against other humans or animals.
    In self defence then.

ReputationRep:
    Then i'll use the example of a bow and arrow. Practically, it has about the same use as a gun, because it can be used recreationally, or it can be used for harm. Because some people use the item for alternative purposes, should no one be able to do archery?
    How many cases have you ever heard of a bow and arrows being used to kill someone, in the last 10 years?

Unlikely i know, but i agree.
    HOWEVER
    I don't think that we should allow gun ownership just so someone can gain better hand eye co-ordination.
    I also make a big distinction between rifles, and handguns.
    Rifles are much less likely to be used than a handgun as an offensive weapon.

How many cases have you ever heard of a bow and arrows being used to kill someone, in the last 10 years?
    Um well there were two guys early this year killed by a crossbows. (seperate incidents)

ReputationRep:
    What does that have to do with the fact that the bow and arrow can be used to kill? What is the number of deaths that you would consider something to be an acceptable recreational device? Do you judge based upon the total number or based upon how many of the devices exist in circulation?

ReputationRep:
    What does that have to do with the fact that the bow and arrow can be used to kill? What is the number of deaths that you would consider something to be an acceptable recreational device? Do you judge based upon the total number or based upon how many of the devices exist in circulation?
    While true, wiwarin's point was that nowadays a bow and arrow's primary use is for leisure

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.