The primary use of guns? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I think its important to differentiate between types of gun.
Handguns vs hunting rifles.
The primary is of both types here in the US and in most of the world that isn't in a state of war is for recreational purposes I'd have thought.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
The primary is of both types here in the US and in most of the world that isn't in a state of war is for recreational purposes I'd have thought.
The name hunting rifle suggests that you use it for hunting and you have to admit that hunting a plastic deer is not most people's idea of fun. Hunting rifles are still used to kill animals, even if it is for recreation.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought lots of people in the USA had them for self-defence? Because the only way to beat the gun-criminals is to join them.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I thought lots of people in the USA had them for self-defence? Because the only way to beat the gun-criminals is to join them.
That's a "purpose" though not a "use". I might buy a handgun to keep in the car or home for self-defence. It'll probably never be used this way and the only time I'll actually "use" it is at the local gun range. See what I mean?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
The name hunting rifle suggests that you use it for hunting and you have to admit that hunting a plastic deer is not most people's idea of fun. Hunting rifles are still used to kill animals, even if it is for recreation.
Well, of course hunting rifles are used to kill animals rather than tickle them. Hunting is still a recreational pass-time for most.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Well, of course hunting rifles are used to kill animals rather than tickle them. Hunting is still a recreational pass-time for most.
Even so, it is killing, so therefore it reinforces my claim that the primary use of guns is to kill.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's a "purpose" though not a "use". I might buy a handgun to keep in the car or home for self-defence. It'll probably never be used this way and the only time I'll actually "use" it is at the local gun range. See what I mean?
I'm still anti-gun myself.

And whoever brought up bows and arrows, you can't compare them to guns, archery is a really difficult skill to master. Anybody can pick up a gun and fire it (admittedly, the recoil might be a bit of a pain to handle) but guns are easily concealed too making them extra dangerous.
pissface
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have several guns in my home. I keep them as self defense and for recreation. I personally feel a sense of security owning a gun. The probability that an armed gun-man entering my home is extremely slim, and I would never turn a gun on another human being unless my life was on stake. But the fact the I have one and I could defend myself if needed soothes me. If my right to a gun in the US was taken away, I would have to move. Guns are an excellent recreational activity. People will go on week long hikes through rugged terrain to hunt, and many children own paint-ball guns. Accompanied with the proper gear, kids will spend hours hiding and running with them for ammusement.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Even so, it is killing, so therefore it reinforces my claim that the primary use of guns is to kill.
Well, I think you're confusing "purpose" with "use" but let's not split hairs over it. The primary purpose of guns is to kill/maim/whatever and not vacuum the house;obviously. Anyway, why are we having this debate? Is it a 4th grade assignment or something?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm still anti-gun myself.
Well, don't worry about it. There are very few guns (only a few air pistols) in the UK anyway.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmericanChick)
I have several guns in my home. I keep them as self defense and for recreation. I personally feel a sense of security owning a gun. The probability that an armed gun-man entering my home is extremely slim, and I would never turn a gun on another human being unless my life was on stake. But the fact the I have one and I could defend myself if needed soothes me. If my right to a gun in the US was taken away, I would have to move. Guns are an excellent recreational activity. People will go on week long hikes through rugged terrain to hunt, and many children own paint-ball guns. Accompanied with the proper gear, kids will spend hours hiding and running with them for ammusement.
So you promote the idea of kids being left to shoot at each other and learn tactics to sneak up on people or conceal themselves and fire at each other? These skills can then be adapted for use with real firearms.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AmericanChick)
If you get shot in the face with a paintball gun, it can very easily kill you. In this country, paintball guns are treated as air rifles because they can cause trouble just the same, but we can still use them if we go to a proper paintballing centre with trained staff, safety gear and all that. Better than playing paintball at home, in the garden or on the street...

I suppose guns must be a reassurance... wouldn't you rather just get rid of them altogether though?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So you promote the idea of kids being left to shoot at each other and learn tactics to sneak up on people or conceal themselves and fire at each other? These skills can then be adapted for use with real firearms.
What? You're anti-paintball as well? Grow up pal.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, don't worry about it. There are very few guns (only a few air pistols) in the UK anyway.
There's gang gun crime in some of the big cities though, it isn't as nice and cosy as you'd expect. It does make guns even more of a threat than they are in the USA as no innocent citizens here would have them in their homes to act as a deterrent against burglary.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
What? You're anti-paintball as well? Grow up pal.
I am not anti-paintball at all, just allowing unrestricted access and use of them.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

I suppose guns must be a reassurance... wouldn't you rather just get rid of them altogether though?
No. I'd like to have more actually.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's gang gun crime in some of the big cities though, it isn't as nice and cosy as you'd expect. It does make guns even more of a threat than they are in the USA as no innocent citizens here would have them in their homes to act as a deterrent against burglary.
Yes, that's right. I remember now; in the UK only criminals have guns because ordinary decent law-abiding citizens had to turn their's in.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
The US is a special case i think. No where else really worships handguns like there. Even before the ban in the UK handgun clubs were not that big. same across much of europe really.
Rifle clubs on the other hand were much bigger - probably because its a very 'british' thing to do clay pigeon shooting, pheasant shooting etc.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
Yes, that's right. I remember now; in the UK only criminals have guns because ordinary decent law-abiding citizens had to turn their's in.
Firstly it really helps police. IF someone has a gun, they are automatically a criminal. no differentiation needed.
Secondly the levels of handguns have fallen massively since the ban. A greater percentage of the handguns now in use are converted replicas firing homemade bullets. THese are far less powerful, accurate and lethal.
Thirdly there was no way in hell our public would ever let hundguns continue - licensed or not after having our children slaughtered by one handgun enthusiast (witrh an otherwise clean past)
pissface
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

No, I am completely against getting rid of them. As an American, I feel it is my right to posess any weapons that I please. *obviously I wouldn't have a bazooka in my living room* If we got rid of them altogether, an armed criminal could still somehow manage to possess one. Or someone could even attack me with a knife or some other weapon. I would need to be ahead of the game. I've lived so long with guns in my vicinity that they're not a big deal. You have just as many people hurting eachother without guns as when everyone owns a gun. The injuries may be more severe, but the crime level is the same.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise