Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Don't even get me started on animal hunting!

I think it's sick that CHILDREN are taught and encouraged to use guns!

I hate to say this, but parts of Bowling for Columbine don't seem too inaccurate from reading what I've read here.

Right, if someone tries to shoot you, the best thing to do is to shoot them back? Are you then not a criminal yourself?

The fewer guns the better, I say.
    In case you hadn't noticed before, Michael Moore is a wee-bit biased, and he has no qualms with stretching the truth for his purposes.

ReputationRep:
    You say guns promote co-ordination, muscle development etc, surely of all the many different types of "recreation" there are, one could choose an activity that did not involve killing? Other sports offer so many more benefits to the body than hunting.

(I do not acknowledge shooting as sport or recreation)

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    I'm going to assume that you never had to take a gun safety course, so you really have no understanding of the grave awareness of gun safety that they instill into young people. A greater number of the older students in such courses have difficulty in administering the proper safety protocol, because by that phase in youth, most children think they know more than the adults instructing them. The same cannot be said for the younger children, like 7 year olds.

As for coming up with any crap just to disagree? I thought that was your role in this forum.
    good lord, that is the worst come back I've ever heard.

And i can fire guns, have done gun safety. However, I'm talking about big boy guns - rifles. You know, the sort that lttle jimmy couldn't lift up to play cops and robbers with the kid next door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    In case you hadn't noticed before, Michael Moore is a wee-bit biased, and he has no qualms with stretching the truth for his purposes.
    I was simply commenting that what I saw here, to me, rang true with some of what I saw in that film. I am not suggesting that his works are unbiased etc etc.

You say guns promote co-ordination, muscle development etc, surely of all the many different types of "recreation" there are, one could choose an activity that did not involve killing? Other sports offer so many more benefits to the body than hunting.

Its like the PS2 is meant to be great for hand eye co-ordination. How does it help? well you get great at playing the PS2. If you get great hand eye co-ordination with a gun does it mean that 'skill' can be transferred into something OTHER than firing a gun, like tennis, squash, basketball?
    Hell no
    Its a stupid circular argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Its like the PS2 is meant to be great for hand eye co-ordination. How does it help? well you get great at playing the PS2. If you get great hand eye co-ordination with a gun does it mean that 'skill' can be transferred into something OTHER than firing a gun, like tennis, squash, basketball?
    Hell no
    Its a stupid circular argument
    Yes, and oh the fitness you can gain from shooting things...
    Feel the burn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Thank you, finally someone sees my point.
    Well I certainly don't see your point. Guns were primarily designed to kill. One might also argue they were designed to fill a gap in the market and to make some people very rich. However... something like the jet engine was primarily developed to allow military aircraft to fly further and faster hence allowing more bombs to be dropped and more people to be killed. So quite clearly, both guns and jet engines were developed with the primary intention of causing death and destruction.

What I don't understand is your thinly veiled dislike of guns. Do you also dislike commercial airliners, as they are powered by jet engines which were primarily designed to bring about death and destruction?

ReputationRep:
    you actually teach a child how to shoot from an early age?
    That is sickening!
    I personally do not see firearms as inherently bad. One is never going to successfully rid the world of guns, therefore it is crucial to accept them as a part of the world we live in. They are here, and they are here to stay. Yes, in untrained hands they can be dangerous. Just like a car in fact. And yes, if someone decides they want to kill you and they can get hold of a gun then that would be bad news for you. But ultimately, if someone did want to kill someone else there are ways of doing it that don't require guns.

A well maintained firearm used by someone well trained in its use is not something to fear. If that person is a child, then all the better.

(Original post by Tednol)
    I personally do not see firearms as inherently bad. One is never going to successfully rid the world of guns, therefore it is crucial to accept them as a part of the world we live in. They are here, and they are here to stay. Yes, in untrained hands they can be dangerous. Just like a car in fact. And yes, if someone decides they want to kill you and they can get hold of a gun then that would be bad news for you. But ultimately, if someone did want to kill someone else there are ways of doing it that don't require guns.

A well maintained firearm used by someone well trained in its use is not something to fear. If that person is a child, then all the better.
    Home is rutland. Thats countrysidish place near lincolnshire, so I'm gonna make a wildswing and say u have experience with shotguns etc.
    So do I
    However
    Its a different kettle of fish when it comes to handguns in my mind.
    I don't bother veiling my dislike of handguns. its open.
    Jet engines nowadays help fly millions around the world. What do handguns do for society (OUR). Bring misery and fear thats what.
    The world would be a much better place if they didn't exist

ReputationRep:
    It is interesting to see all the different views. Guns in general tend to polarise public opinion. On one side are those who see guns as a problem, and on the other side are those who see guns as an object no different to any other day to day object. I think a lot of anti gun feeling comes as a result of a lack of awareness about the legitimate reasons for gun ownership. Someone commented on the fact that 'shooting might have benefits but other sports have the same benefits and more so are therefore better', or words to that effect. Quite frankly, if someone enjoys shooting then that is terrific. Anything that brings pleasure to someones life without damaging others is great. And the huge majority of gun owners are responsible members of society. I enjoy getting pissed every now and again. Yes... there are things that are probably better for me that I could do doing instead of drinking but if I choose to drink, who is anybody to criticise me?

Yes, granted, you will get the odd person who obtains a weapon legitimately within the UK who may then use that weapon in a way which may harm people. It happens. But I am no more worried about that than I am by the prospect of a driver losing control and hitting me when I walk alongside a road.

I have always had guns around me. When I was younger living in Saudi Arabia the guards around the compound were always armed with automatic assualt rifles. My uncle owns a large farm house and has a couple of shot guns he uses to control pests on his land. My dad owns a Beretta handgun. I learnt to fire the L98 (bolt action version of the standard UK army rifle) at school when I was 13. Since then, I've been instructed and have used the LSW, and when I am away on exercise with the army I am issued with my own personal SA80 which comes everywhere until I hand it back to the armoury. When I'm sleeping in my sleeping bag, the rifle is in the sleeping bag too. Never is the weapon out of arms reach. It is basic training and basic drills, but it is good training and ensures the safety of all concerned.

In my life, guns have at times been used recreationally. Emptying 30 rounds in 2.7 seconds down my SA80 is exciting, not least because it is the tax payers money I'm blasting away. At other times, guns have been a pain in the arse because when you are marching across Dartmoor or any other exercise area the SA80 is damn heavy. And yes, I have also happened to use a gun to kill animals.

ReputationRep:
    Home is rutland. Thats countrysidish place near lincolnshire, so I'm gonna make a wildswing and say u have experience with shotguns etc.
    So do I
    However
    Its a different kettle of fish when it comes to handguns in my mind.
    I don't bother veiling my dislike of handguns. its open.
    Jet engines nowadays help fly millions around the world. What do handguns do for society (OUR). Bring misery and fear thats what.
    The world would be a much better place if they didn't exist
    Handguns can be used negatively, of course they can. As can shot guns and assualt rifles. But equally, they can all be used positively. I regard handgun ownership and shooting club membership at positive things. I think it would be wrong therefore to say the world would be better if they didn't exist. How do you compare someones legitimate pleasure with someone elses illegitiamate abuse?

ReputationRep:

Your final statment obviously shows that you are totally biased in this area. It is one thing for you to disagree with something, but it is another to disregard fact. To say that shooting involves killing is a lie. You don't see the Olympics dragging dead bodies out of an arena after the shooting competitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Isnt that a contradiction?
    I don't think it is. Let me try and explain what I meant.

Take spoons.

A spoon's primary purpose/function is to be used as an aid in eating. Another use of a spoon is, say, something to make music and something to make a funny sort of mirror. The spoon's function/purpose (what it is intended for primarily) and its use can be quite different if the user intends it that way. The person who takes up the spoon determines what it is used for - Uri Gellar certainly doesn't use spoons in a conventional way, but it doesn't negate their function or primary use.

A gun's primary function is as a lethal weapon (not a maiming or warning weapon, but a lethal one) but the person who takes it up determines the use. Just as a spoon's primary function is as an eating impliment, but the person who takes up the spoon determines its use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

Take spoons.

A spoon's primary purpose/function is to be used as an aid in eating. Another use of a spoon is, say, something to make music and something to make a funny sort of mirror. The spoon's function/purpose (what it is intended for primarily) and its use can be quite different if the user intends it that way. The person who takes up the spoon determines what it is used for - Uri Gellar certainly doesn't use spoons in a conventional way, but it doesn't negate their function or primary use.

A gun's primary function is as a lethal weapon (not a maiming or warning weapon, but a lethal one) but the person who takes it up determines the use. Just as a spoon's primary function is as an eating impliment, but the person who takes up the spoon determines its use.
    What about guns that are made to suit people doing target practice etc. in clubs, but with real bullets etc. for realism?

ReputationRep:
    yes because 7 to 16 year old are known for always obeying their parents, knowing the full consequences to their actions and maturity.

Will you come out with any crap just to disagree?
    If I owned a firearm I would teach of all of my family the importance of firearm safety. What part of that do you disagree with?

Im not surprised that you label someone elses opinion as 'crap', your reputation as the forums biggest smallminded foulmouth somewhat preceeds you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't even get me started on animal hunting!

I think it's sick that CHILDREN are taught and encouraged to use guns!
    Children are taught about gun safety if one is present in their home, it is your own prejudice that suggests that firearm use is "encouraged".

ReputationRep:
    Despite the facts?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and oh the fitness you can gain from shooting things...
    Feel the burn!
    Without a doubt! I can still remember how I felt after my first day on a firing range. I've never been so sore and achy!
    The kick from many firearms will knock you off your feet if you don't brace yourself properly.

(Original post by Tednol)
    Handguns can be used negatively, of course they can. As can shot guns and assualt rifles. But equally, they can all be used positively. I regard handgun ownership and shooting club membership at positive things. I think it would be wrong therefore to say the world would be better if they didn't exist. How do you compare someones legitimate pleasure with someone elses illegitiamate abuse?
    handgun ownership is in no way positive - how many high school shooting will it take before people learn that letting the majority of people have weapons is totally insane.

(Original post by blissy)

Take spoons.

interesting but spoons aren't guns. a person isn't going to but a gun to knock a nail in. when a person buys a gun there not buying for sport like you would a football, a gun has one sole purpose and that is to kill things.
    in the 21st century what is the need of guns in civilised society?
    how many world wars, holocausts, high school shootings does it take before people learn that the gun has one purpose that is to kill.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.