Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, if anyone thinks that shakespeare shouldn't exist in the first place?

If he didn't exist, we don't have to study his plays. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Just wondering, if anyone thinks that shakespeare shouldn't exist in the first place?

Definately.

Easily the worst person ever to exist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and, and, you could spend more time watchin' the TeeVee! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what a ridiculous post!
    what's the problem with shakespeare?

ReputationRep:
    In an era when reasons to be proud to be English seem few and far between it would be a great loss to lose the claim of the greatest playwright of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Do the people criticising Shakespeare actually understand the immense contribution the guy made to our language? I doubt it...

Make some effort to appreciate the sheer brilliance and you might get something out of your work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Do the people criticising Shakespeare actually understand the immense contribution the guy made to our language? I doubt it...
    of course they don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)

If you didn't exist, we wouldn't have to read your posts :p:

Shakespeare didn't ask to be put on the curriculum, he just happens to have been a hugely influential playwright

ReputationRep:
    Read this, weep at the error of your ways, and then start reading/watching/loving Shakespeare. It will make you a better person.

(By the way, this is Antony talking over Caesar's body.)

ANTONY
    O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth,
    That I am meek and gentle with these butchers!
    Thou art the ruins of the noblest man
    That ever lived in the tide of times.
    Woe to the hand that shed this costly blood!
    Over thy wounds now do I prophesy,--
    Which, like dumb mouths, do ope their ruby lips,
    To beg the voice and utterance of my tongue--
    A curse shall light upon the limbs of men;
    Domestic fury and fierce civil strife
    Shall cumber all the parts of Italy;
    Blood and destruction shall be so in use
    And dreadful objects so familiar
    That mothers shall but smile when they behold
    Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
    All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:
    And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,
    With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
    Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
    Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
    That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
    With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Not sure why I chose this particular speech. It just sprang to mind.

ReputationRep:
    I was joking, by the way.

Shakespeare is an absolute Genius, and i admire him hugely.

I just didn't enjoy studying Romeo and Juliet in school.

ReputationRep:
    Shakespeare rules

But if you agree with the original poster, might I suggest watching the Blackadder Back and Forth special

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makavelli_07)
    I just didn't enjoy studying Romeo and Juliet in school.
    I actually enjoyed reading Shakespeare in school, if I had read his plays on my own, just for the fun of it, I don't think I would have appreciated it at all, b/c I wouldn't have understood it... I think all the over-analyzing made me understand it and thus appreciate it more... my teacher made even Henry IV part I interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)

What do you mean? Shakespeare was a great guy. Apart from anything else he gives us one up on the Americans. People come to Britain from all over the world cos its where shakespeare lived. The tourist industry must make billions out of him.

Besides if he didn't exist you'd still have to study some book or other. Just be grateful it isnt War & Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Semanort)
    I actually enjoyed reading Shakespeare in school, if I had read his plays on my own, just for the fun of it, I don't think I would have appreciated it at all, b/c I wouldn't have understood it... I think all the over-analyzing made me understand it and thus appreciate it more... my teacher made even Henry IV part I interesting
    I love Henry IV, both parts. Falstaff's the man!

By the way, there's a new series of books which translates shakespeare into modern conversational language. They're called "Shakespeare made easy." They print the orignal text next to the modern english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Shakespeare rules

But if you agree with the original poster, might I suggest watching the Blackadder Back and Forth special
    yeah, it's amazing, that episode

Shakespeare is immense - i just dug up my Complete Works of William Shakespeare from the basement, buried since my A-Levels. He actually stole a large number of plays from other less well known playwrights, and then 'redecorated' them to popularise them to the general public of the time.
    In doing so, he helped to shape our modern english language so that it is what it is now.
    The plays are also good in that they contain a large number of timeless themes... about power, love, jealousy, tragedy and so on, which are still relevant in today's society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Semanort)
    what a ridiculous post!
    what's the problem with shakespeare?
    his plays are sh*t. He puts all the kids through torture and when u have read 1 play u have read them all.

I wish blackadder hit the real shakespeare on blackadder back and forth

ReputationRep:
    Shakespeare is great! He was well ahead of his time and I dont think the world would be the same without him.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.