The Student Room Group

Do I include this on my personal statement??!?!

Hiii

I'm in year 12 and hope to apply for dentistry next year. I play the flute at grade 6 level rn, but I haven't had an actual teacher since grade 5, as it was quite expensive per lesson.

I did grade 1 (distinction) grade 3 (distinction) and would have done grade 5 but I was stressed out about my gcses and decided to focus on them instead.

After that I couldn't afford lessons (also I don't qualify for contextual etc) so I'm teaching myself grade 6 rn.

It is possible that I could take the grade 6 exam between now and when I apply, but should I? Music exams stress me out more than school exams hahaha

Do you think it is worth mentioning on my personal statement that I play at grade 6 even if I haven't "taken an exam" since grade 3??

Any thoughts welcome :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ros11
Hiii

I'm in year 12 and hope to apply for dentistry next year. I play the flute at grade 6 level rn, but I haven't had an actual teacher since grade 5, as it was quite expensive per lesson.

I did grade 1 (distinction) grade 3 (distinction) and would have done grade 5 but I was stressed out about my gcses and decided to focus on them instead.

After that I couldn't afford lessons (also I don't qualify for contextual etc) so I'm teaching myself grade 6 rn.

It is possible that I could take the grade 6 exam between now and when I apply, but should I? Music exams stress me out more than school exams hahaha

Do you think it is worth mentioning on my personal statement that I play at grade 6 even if I haven't "taken an exam" since grade 3??

Any thoughts welcome :smile:

I mentioned I was practising for my grade 6 clarinet when I submitted my UCAS application with intent of doing the exam in the autumn term (which I now have done).
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I mentioned I was practising for my grade 6 clarinet when I submitted my UCAS application with intent of doing the exam in the autumn term (which I now have done).

oh ok, thank you! tbh looking at my own timeline for grade 6 I would probably being doing the same when I submit my application

Quick Reply