The Student Room Group

BSC in Paramedic Medicine and Driving convictions

Hi

My son, aged 18 was convicted of driving under the influence of drugs. As part of that he lost his licence for 12 months but received no penalty points/endorsements.

He took this on the chin and has taken responsibility for his actions, sought therapy and for the past year has been clean, working full time etc. (I'm so proud of him!)

He has been looking at becoming a paramedic and has enrolled on an access course with the view of starting a BSc in Paramedic Science in 2025.

He worried that this conviction will end up preventing him from being employed, and would show up on an enhanced DBS check.

What would you advise?
Reply 1
Original post by Stuvv101
Hi

My son, aged 18 was convicted of driving under the influence of drugs. As part of that he lost his licence for 12 months but received no penalty points/endorsements.

He took this on the chin and has taken responsibility for his actions, sought therapy and for the past year has been clean, working full time etc. (I'm so proud of him!)

He has been looking at becoming a paramedic and has enrolled on an access course with the view of starting a BSc in Paramedic Science in 2025.

He worried that this conviction will end up preventing him from being employed, and would show up on an enhanced DBS check.

What would you advise?

He won’t be able to become a paramedic until 11 years after the date of conviction unfortunately. I know someone that was in a similar position. They were accepted on to the paramedic science degree at Swansea but was advised that he won’t be able to take up employment until 11 years after the conviction. That was with the Welsh ambulance service so other ambulance services may have different rules and regulations
Reply 2
Original post by Ajj-86
He won’t be able to become a paramedic until 11 years after the date of conviction unfortunately. I know someone that was in a similar position. They were accepted on to the paramedic science degree at Swansea but was advised that he won’t be able to take up employment until 11 years after the conviction. That was with the Welsh ambulance service so other ambulance services may have different rules and regulations

Thanks
Original post by Stuvv101
Hi

What would you advise?

at least 11 years post conviction as it will be on his driving record until then and also certainly an immediate bar to recruitment whether for a new grad or on an apprenticeship route

Quick Reply

Latest