Losing white-collar jobs to India

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Loafy
Badges:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Ppl are going on about how bad it is losing jobs (such as call centre staff) to the far east but have you considered it through the companies view. Millions of pounds will be saved annually for many firms who are transferring jobs to the far east, and this is what businesses love - being able to cut costs dramatically. It is all too easy for us to criticise firms for doing this, but at the end of the day - business is business.
In fact, surely it has its positve points, India is a poor country and they are now being boosted by an injection of employment.
If anyone of us was to own a business, 95% of us would put profit before ethics.
I also understand that it is difficult for people in India to understand basic english slang, but this is a small negative.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
What I found funny was people criticising the HSBC for moving call centres to the east, but they are the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, though they are in the UK stock market, their origins are Asian!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
but it is quite annoying when they cant understand you and you cant understand them and you waste half an hour trrying to explain and get no where.

belive me, ive been there.

love Katy ***
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
but it is quite annoying when they cant understand you and you cant understand them and you waste half an hour trrying to explain and get no where.

belive me, ive been there.

love Katy ***
Indeed, which is why we ought to move the call centres out of Britain.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Loafy)
Ppl are going on about how bad it is losing jobs (such as call centre staff) to the far east but have you considered it through the companies view. Millions of pounds will be saved annually for many firms who are transferring jobs to the far east, and this is what businesses love - being able to cut costs dramatically. It is all too easy for us to criticise firms for doing this, but at the end of the day - business is business.
In fact, surely it has its positve points, India is a poor country and they are now being boosted by an injection of employment.
If anyone of us was to own a business, 95% of us would put profit before ethics.
I also understand that it is difficult for people in India to understand basic english slang, but this is a small negative.
To be honest its all about reducing costs. These meglomaniacs in their smartly dressed suits dont really care about their employees, they are not paid to. They just wanna give their shareholders as much dividends as possible, call me a cynic if you want. Keeping the shareholders happy means they have a job for the next year. The only way to increase profits is by reducing costs or increasing efficency, sadly many opt to cut costs. Which is when situations like this arise, relocation, it effects our economy as many jobs are lost, and its not just call centres (tertiary sector), its other industries, like manufacturing, and has been going on for many years, the only reason we hear more about it, is due to the press, and media.

But at the end of the day, it means that costs are reduced for the company, which in turn mean greater profits, and higher payout to the shareholders.

But is quality still assured, that is the real question? Take for example, I work in a phone shop, and we make terrbile amount of calls to all the different networks, and guess where they are based? Yep, you guessed it, in other countries where the costs are cheaper. One thing that ticks me off, is that sometimes they pretend or mislead you into believing that they are still in the UK, they say things like 'Isn't the weather terrible today?', its sooooo stupid. Anyway thats al from me, I'm Trevor McDonald, ITN news, Good night.
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
To be honest its all about reducing costs. These meglomaniacs in their smartly dressed suits dont really care about their employees, they are not paid to. They just wanna give their shareholders as much dividends as possible, call me a cynic if you want. Keeping the shareholders happy means they have a job for the next year. The only way to increase profits is by reducing costs or increasing efficency, sadly many opt to cut costs. Which is when situations like this arise, relocation, it effects our economy as many jobs are lost, and its not just call centres (tertiary sector), its other industries, like manufacturing, and has been going on for many years, the only reason we hear more about it, is due to the press, and media.

But at the end of the day, it means that costs are reduced for the company, which in turn mean greater profits, and higher payout to the shareholders.

But is quality still assured, that is the real question? Take for example, I work in a phone shop, and we make terrbile amount of calls to all the different networks, and guess where they are based? Yep, you guessed it, in other countries where the costs are cheaper. One thing that ticks me off, is that sometimes they pretend or mislead you into believing that they are still in the UK, they say things like 'Isn't the weather terrible today?', its sooooo stupid. Anyway thats al from me, I'm Trevor McDonald, ITN news, Good night.
ok.....
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Tell you one thing though, British labour is the cheapest and most flexible in the EU. This naturally encourages major foreign investment, so we are gaining from what we're complaining about. It's cushty people!
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Tell you one thing though, British labour is the cheapest and most flexible in the EU. This naturally encourages major foreign investment, so we are gaining from what we're complaining about. It's cushty people!
*nice*
pkonline
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
LOL doesn't HSBC pride itself on being the world's 'local' bank?!

LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
LOL doesn't HSBC pride itself on being the world's 'local' bank?!

Yes, which is exactly why there is nothing wrong with it moving its call centres to the east, as it originates there.
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yes, which is exactly why there is nothing wrong with it moving its call centres to the east, as it originates there.
Don't know about other people but I often get these call centres calling me (like the bank etc) and i just hang up because i can't understand them! If they are going to move the call centres then at least employ people who can speak proper english!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Don't know about other people but I often get these call centres calling me (like the bank etc) and i just hang up because i can't understand them! If they are going to move the call centres then at least employ people who can speak proper english!
lol.
Meeps
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
people have to consider that these call centre jobsare usually taken up by temp workers in the UK. Call centre jobs are mainly taken up full time workers in India. I doubt very much that a lot of jobs have been lost from just call centre work moving anyway.
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Indeed, which is why we ought to move the call centres out of Britain.
lol ^^ that tickled me

i don't really mind about the call centres being moved abroad, but i've never used one :/
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Its not just call centre jobs that have been outsourced, IT jobs have been too. In theory it could happen with any job where you don't need to be 'on site' or physically customer facing.

At the various companies I've worked for, the message boards (and my mailbox) were always crammed with CVs from people in India and Bangladesh and other places wanting jobs at the companies, each CV absolutely identical barring personal details. If someone can do a better job than me, then fine, but I object to my job being given to someone who clearly isn't as qualified or experienced, but simply commands a smaller salary.

Unfortunately for the British IT industry, IT is a very 'international' thing in that anyone can learn it as information is publically available, and lets be honest, its not THAT hard now is it? As a consequence, the IT industry in this country is a shambles and many people are out of work because of it, or accepting much lower salaries than they would be used to.

We can never beat outsourcing in terms of money, but we can beat it by having a better service.

This is a huge problem in the US. I can't collapse on the couch for more than 5 minutes before the phone rings; somebody from Delhi wanting to sell me life insurance.

They have the phones rigged somehow so the caller ID shows it as someone from Calumet City, Illinois. Then when you answer somebody sounding like Gupta from 'it ain't half hot mum" starts calling you "buddy" are trying to get your credit card number.

I won't deal with these folks at all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.54%
Okay (113)
29.12%
A bit lacking (147)
37.89%
Not good at all (91)
23.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed