The Student Room Group

SFE support loan considerations for multiple children.

Hello, I am currently in my first year as an undergraduate in London. When I applied for a maintenance loan for this year, I was awarded £11,399. Also this year, my parents picked up a lot of overtime - because they needed to pay down some debts - and their projected income this year is gonna be higher than last year. I asked them, and they estimated it to be about £60k before tax.

I ran that number through this calculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator, and got a maintenance loan of ~£7,900 for next year. However, I do have a brother who is going to go to university, and my question is, are there any additional rules about parents having multiple children who are students simultaneously, that would be able to affect/increase the number higher than what that calculator estimates?

My intuition would be, yes, because whatever money the parents have to support their children who are students, will be split, so each child will get less, than if it was only one child. But intuitions could be wrong.
Original post by geekerman
Hello, I am currently in my first year as an undergraduate in London. When I applied for a maintenance loan for this year, I was awarded £11,399. Also this year, my parents picked up a lot of overtime - because they needed to pay down some debts - and their projected income this year is gonna be higher than last year. I asked them, and they estimated it to be about £60k before tax.

I ran that number through this calculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator, and got a maintenance loan of ~£7,900 for next year. However, I do have a brother who is going to go to university, and my question is, are there any additional rules about parents having multiple children who are students simultaneously, that would be able to affect/increase the number higher than what that calculator estimates?

My intuition would be, yes, because whatever money the parents have to support their children who are students, will be split, so each child will get less, than if it was only one child. But intuitions could be wrong.

Hi there, there can be a disregard if there's more than 1 student in the same household but there's too many variables to confirm this. I'd advise to contact us directly either on Live chat on your online account, or by calling 0300 100 0607 to speak to an advisor. The reason for this is due to the amount of variables taken into account it's very very hard to advise this without access to your account. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest