What level are you studying at? Watch

This discussion is closed.
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Does anyone have any experience of NVQ levels 4 and 5, and how the degree of difficulty and effort required compares to their supposed equivalents in reality?
Um....no.

drunko...
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i would helpbut i cant as i am relatively mashed
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I know people that have done them and believe that they are extremely time consuming but not difficult in the slightest. NVQs arn't really about learning but more about proving the skills you have (normally skills attained in the workplace).
Very time consuming. My mother is a psychiatric nurse and had a colleague who was a nursing assistant ... very intelligent woman with a perfectly good set of o-levels. She'd just spent the last 20 something years bringing up children. She wanted to become a state registered nurse but before she could do so the Powers That Be insisted she do NVQs. She passed with flying colours but labelled the qualifications themselves 'a joke'. Hey, she said it!
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Messiah)
i would helpbut i cant as i am relatively mashed
Oh no, not you too. And you're the MESSIAH. Oh well, I guess we're all F**ked.

I'd better kind of turn this machine off!

'Miaow!'

'Oh, shut up, Bella.'
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I only did it for a few weeks becuase my the job was just brain deathening, there is nothing more boring than builing the 342th identical Cyrix P333 with 32MB RAM knowing what you're building is useless *****.

The qualification seemed very basic and just wasn't motivating me at all.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So if your first degree is a masters then you skip level 4?
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Emmz-)
So if your first degree is a masters then you skip level 4?
No because I assume that will be a four year masters course where you effectivly do a first degree first?
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
No because I assume that will be a four year masters course where you effectivly do a first degree first?
But I'm doing an MSci that's a combined undergrad and masters, so surely that'd be the same as doing the two separately?
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chardonnay)
But I'm doing an MSci that's a combined undergrad and masters, so surely that'd be the same as doing the two separately?
Probably yes, the difference being that you're guarenteed a place on masters course if you get a certain grade i.e 2:1.
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably yes, the difference being that you're guarenteed a place on masters course if you get a certain grade i.e 2:1.
Yep, and that the 4th year is eligable for LEA funding
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But you don't get awarded a bachelors, the first degree I get will be the masters? So I don't understand how that fits in.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just a bit of a daft chart I made some people some times confuse different levels of qualifications so I thought I would clear this up. Most people will never get past level 4 though some where between 2 and 3 is probably average..
Is IB and A-levels in the same possition?? (according to your chart?)
:confused:
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I guess so as the IB diploma is equivalent to the A-levels at level 3.
AT82
Rep:
?
Yep IB is level 3, I should have included that, I think the government regonise is as an official qualification.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
IB middle years is equivalent to GCSEs which is level 2.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm at level 3 now (A levels), will definately get to level 4 (first degree) and am considering level 5 (MBA most likely) but it's still early days.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
IB middle years is equivalent to GCSEs which is level 2.
IB middle years? IB are the last two years of high school..
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://www.ibo.org/ibo/index.cfm
http://www.ibo.org/ibo/index.cfm?pag...yp&language=EN

According to those website, I think IB middle years is equivalent to GCSEs.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, but what if your first degree is a masters, is that level 4 or level 5? I know on some degrees say chemistry for example you can do bachelors or masters and you have to get a 2:1 at the end of your third year so can do masters so effectively you've got a bachelors before you do your masters. But in my degree is no such thing as a BPharm ... it's an MPharm or nothing.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Emmz-)
Yes, but what if your first degree is a masters, is that level 4 or level 5? I know on some degrees say chemistry for example you can do bachelors or masters and you have to get a 2:1 at the end of your third year so can do masters so effectively you've got a bachelors before you do your masters. But in my degree is no such thing as a BPharm ... it's an MPharm or nothing.
I would guess the first three years are pitched at level 4 but the last year at level 5, when you get the masters you will have a level 5 qualification. I am just guessing though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads