The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra & Clearing

.delete
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by james310
My life has been a mess up until this point. I was in and out of hospital for the last two years of Secondary School, and they couldn't have been more unsupportive if they'd tried. I ended up leaving in Year 10 and had no qualifications by 16. My predicted grades were quite high too. I worked full time for a year before going back to college. I did a Functional Skills Level 2 English exam which I passed first time, but studied Maths because it wasn't my strongest subject in school. I've improved massively and will be doing my exam in 2024, so will have an equivelent Level 2 qualification in English & Maths GCSE. I'll be 19 in October 2024. I'd like to go to University for Business & Marketing via a foundation year, but only just finding out that foundation years are mainly for people who didn't do well in their A-Levels, not for people who didn't get the chance to do them.

I've been looking into Access To Higher Education courses at my college and other colleges in the area but they all require me to be over 19 at the beginning of the course in September. So not until September 2025. I feel like time is slipping away from me. I don't know if it's the weather at this time of year but I feel hopelessly depressed thinking about my education and what could've been.

I've applied to 5 Uni's so far with foundation years included and 2 have already said no, one gave me an offer providing I had UCAS points (which I don't have and won't have before Sept 24), one wants to interview me (Buckinghamshire New Uni) and the other hasn't replied.

The ones that have already said no would've been my firm choice. The ones that could be considering me are obviously some of the worst Uni's you could go to and I don't know if it's worth waiting until UCAS extra or clearing to try and at least persuade my way into a slightly better Uni in a better location. Obviously would not be a Russell Group Uni by anymeans, but not a *****y one in the middle of nowhere.

Not really sure what to do at this point, but I'll take any advice I can get.

You're in a tough spot, but keep pushing forward. Try contacting universities directly, keep an eye on UCAS extra or clearing, and use this time to build skills. Don't lose hope; there are still paths to your goals. Hope for the best brother.
Original post by james310
My life has been a mess up until this point. I was in and out of hospital for the last two years of Secondary School, and they couldn't have been more unsupportive if they'd tried. I ended up leaving in Year 10 and had no qualifications by 16. My predicted grades were quite high too. I worked full time for a year before going back to college. I did a Functional Skills Level 2 English exam which I passed first time, but studied Maths because it wasn't my strongest subject in school. I've improved massively and will be doing my exam in 2024, so will have an equivelent Level 2 qualification in English & Maths GCSE. I'll be 19 in October 2024. I'd like to go to University for Business & Marketing via a foundation year, but only just finding out that foundation years are mainly for people who didn't do well in their A-Levels, not for people who didn't get the chance to do them.

I've been looking into Access To Higher Education courses at my college and other colleges in the area but they all require me to be over 19 at the beginning of the course in September. So not until September 2025. I feel like time is slipping away from me. I don't know if it's the weather at this time of year but I feel hopelessly depressed thinking about my education and what could've been.

I've applied to 5 Uni's so far with foundation years included and 2 have already said no, one gave me an offer providing I had UCAS points (which I don't have and won't have before Sept 24), one wants to interview me (Buckinghamshire New Uni) and the other hasn't replied.

The ones that have already said no would've been my firm choice. The ones that could be considering me are obviously some of the worst Uni's you could go to and I don't know if it's worth waiting until UCAS extra or clearing to try and at least persuade my way into a slightly better Uni in a better location. Obviously would not be a Russell Group Uni by anymeans, but not a *****y one in the middle of nowhere.

Not really sure what to do at this point, but I'll take any advice I can get.

Hi james310 - it certainly sounds like you've had a lot to deal with so it's great to hear you're keen to explore uni and push forward with your ambitions.

Although you feel like time is slipping away from you, you don't need to rush this at all! Lot's of people end up delayed going to uni - you only have to take a look at lots of the recent posts in this forum to see loads of applicants who have taken a year out to resit exams, or taken a gap year, or trying to renter uni after dropping out. You'll spot some users also struggling at uni or looking to transfer so it's important you take your time on this.

Have you been to any open days? (some places are doing extra ones in Jan..)
Have you looked at some business specific league tables?
Don't worry too much about RG unis. There are some fantastic non RG unis out there.
Are you wanting a campus or city vibe? These things can be just as important as rankings so you're happy on your course and settled.

Are you looking at unis within a specific location? Let us know what unis you might consider after you've thought about the above as they might have an ambassador on TSR and you can chat with them directly.

Final note, we are all on different timelines and that is totally fine! I went to uni as a mature student and I'm not behind at all. In fact I'd say I'm 'ahead' of some of my mates as I ended up doing something I was actually interested in when I was ready.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂
Aims

Quick Reply

Latest