The Student Room Group

family pressure for a-level choices

I am currently choosing my a-levels, and have decided on art, history and psychology, all 3 of which I am extremely passionate about and actually enjoy, and I feel like these subjects together create a pretty well rounded a-level experience.

I already know what I want to do at university and if I change my mind I do have other degree options.

However my sister took chemistry, biology and maths all of which make me absolutely miserable, but she keeps saying I have to take a science subject or English/ maths but I am genuinely just not good at them, nor do I enjoy them one bit and my family don't understand that at all.

Every time I tell my parents and sister what I want to do they are so negative and try to pressurize me into taking other a-levels but like I said, I am not good at them at all and I would be extra miserable if I took them, meaning I wouldn't do well, and I know that I wouldn't do well in these subjects regardless.

Just because my dreams are different and not stem related it automatically makes them unimportant and silly. How do I really get across to them that I will fail if I take the subjects they want me to? Also how do I express that this is my life and I will not do what they want me to or let them decide my future? I have tried so, so many times but they actually don't care.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am currently choosing my a-levels, and have decided on art, history and psychology, all 3 of which I am extremely passionate about and actually enjoy, and I feel like these subjects together create a pretty well rounded a-level experience.

I already know what I want to do at university and if I change my mind I do have other degree options.

However my sister took chemistry, biology and maths all of which make me absolutely miserable, but she keeps saying I have to take a science subject or English/ maths but I am genuinely just not good at them, nor do I enjoy them one bit and my family don't understand that at all.

Every time I tell my parents and sister what I want to do they are so negative and try to pressurize me into taking other a-levels but like I said, I am not good at them at all and I would be extra miserable if I took them, meaning I wouldn't do well, and I know that I wouldn't do well in these subjects regardless.

Just because my dreams are different and not stem related it automatically makes them unimportant and silly. How do I really get across to them that I will fail if I take the subjects they want me to? Also how do I express that this is my life and I will not do what they want me to or let them decide my future? I have tried so, so many times but they actually don't care.

Talk to your teachers, and maybe they can back you up? This is not uncommon and some parents forget who is going to have to do the studying.

Good luck!
It is essential in life to do the things you want, not what others want you to do. My father spoke to a friend (with me in earshot) and said that I am not interested in the things he did (engineering). A few years later he confessed to my mother and said that he has always hated his career. In conclusion, the ones that want whats best for us, usually don't know themselves!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1

Yes I agree with Muttley79. Do the subjects as you are passionate about it regardless of your families opinion.

Wish you all the best it is your future xx
Original post by Anonymous

Obviously just do the things you're interested in and go from there.

Point out that there's no point taking science A-levels if you get E and D grades in all of them compared to doing the subjects you want to do and getting As, A*s and Bs in them.
Stigmas and preconceptions exist around many subjects that don't fall under the umbrella of STEM. In all likelihood your parents derive their will for you to study these options from their existent beliefs that they want you to get a high paying job or go far; they're understandable beliefs, but you need to make it clear to them that it isn't the path for you, and there's viable avenues for your future in your chosen areas of study.

Show your passion, and most importantly show what these choices will do for you beyond your A-Levels. It's perfectly fine if you don't know, but if you can evidence a tangible aspiration past your studies, it gives them a platform to research and understand.

Quick Reply

Latest