Biology A2 Jan 2003 Planning exercise Watch

This discussion is closed.
arxtra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Teacher has given us this planning exercise to practice on, I am, however, confused as to how to go about doing it (slightly):

You are required to plan an investigation to find out the relationship between the transpiration of a shoot and the degree of opening of the stomata of its leaves

I came up with separate methods of determining each factor i.e. using the nail varnish impression for stomata density and using a potometer for transpiration rate.

However,

1) I do not know what to keep constant and what to vary?? Basically, I do not know the investigation's main process

2) by "degree of opening" do they mean determining the actual diameter of the stoma or can we, more easily, just find out how many stomatal pores are open within a given area?

Any help would be most appreciated
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Urgh plants :s:

I'd say you could use the number of pores open as a measure of the degree of stomatal opening; with the equipment you have available at A level I can't imagine it'll be easy to measure how much the pores are open by!

Sounds like you need to vary the transpiration rate, so you need to pick something that affects transpiration. At a guess, temperature would be a good one. I'd keep everything else constant.

Sorry if any of this is grossly inaccurate! Hope it helps a bit.
arxtra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
yup, but thats the problem.. is picking what to vary.. because temperature will affect transiration only in that it will speed up the water molecules not affecting stomata???
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Vary light intensity?

As it increases, stomata should open so you should see transpiration rate increase.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads