The Student Room Group

what's the most useless job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by artful_lounger
Politicians were just the ones that failed to stop the investment bankers at the major banks making the bad investment decisions and offering the subprime mortgages (which set off that crisis precipitating the broader financial crisis).

I see then, I don’t remember too much of the 2008 financial crash.
Reply 21
Original post by user1298371
thats true but a lot of influencers actually improve our lifestyle (if we follow it in the positive way) with food, workouts and fashion, makeup. anything really. its not the best profession to have, not fully respected by most people but it is a job that influences people

Now that is where I completely disagree. Because influencers are completely unregulated there are hundreds if not thousands pedalling false or misleading information. I would suggest the health and food brigade are having a genuinely negative effect. And when you then add in the fact that big businesses are paying them to promote unhealthy foods as healthy we have effectively the same situation as happened in the 30s - 50s where doctors were paid to promote cigarettes.
Lecturer in gender studies and lesbian dance theory.
Original post by hotpud
Except social media influencers are not useless. They generate millions in sales for their sponsors. Do they make the world a better place? Probably not.

That’s why I don’t really like them (I’m specifically referring to TikTok and instagram ones who do this stuff as a full time job, I’m not referring to YouTubers, Historical figures, journalists, political commentators or any other type of influencer etc).

I won’t change my answer regardless.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

Tbf gender studies has some use you could argue, I have no idea what the other subject is.
Original post by hotpud
Now that is where I completely disagree. Because influencers are completely unregulated there are hundreds if not thousands pedalling false or misleading information. I would suggest the health and food brigade are having a genuinely negative effect. And when you then add in the fact that big businesses are paying them to promote unhealthy foods as healthy we have effectively the same situation as happened in the 30s - 50s where doctors were paid to promote cigarettes.

This I agree with though, some do spread false information or get themselves into hot water but deny any wrongdoing.
Reply 26
are you saying being a doctor is useless?

They don't have any forms of passive income. That and the fact you have to go to medical school for 5-6 years makes it a completely redundant job when you can literally just start a dropshipping business and earn as much if not more money without accumulating loads of debt. Perhaps 20 - 30 years ago it would have been an honourable thing to do but not how the world works now.
Influencer.
Reply 28
Original post by Greg8881
Doctors, farmers, mothers, construction workers and anyone who maintains critical infrastructure in general. The only useful job in this world now adays is a professional dropshipperman.

mothers 😭
Reply 29
Original post by hotpud

thats true but my fashion sense improved because of influencers yk? but I do agree how a lot of it is fake
Reply 30
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

what is lesbian dance theory
Reply 31
Original post by Talkative Toad
That’s why I don’t really like them (I’m specifically referring to TikTok and instagram ones who do this stuff as a full time job, I’m not referring to YouTubers, Historical figures, journalists, political commentators or any other type of influencer etc).

I won’t change my answer regardless.

you can learn a lot from social media
Reply 32
They don't have any forms of passive income. That and the fact you have to go to medical school for 5-6 years makes it a completely redundant job when you can literally just start a dropshipping business and earn as much if not more money without accumulating loads of debt. Perhaps 20 - 30 years ago it would have been an honourable thing to do but not how the world works now.

they save lives!??! doctors are the most important job.
Reply 33
Doctors, farmers, mothers, construction workers and anyone who maintains critical infrastructure in general. The only useful job in this world now adays is a professional dropshipperman.

a mother? most important job. give me one good reason why being a mother is not important.
what is lesbian dance theory

No idea, but it's a thing apparently.
Reply 35
mothers 😭

Speak for yourself. My mum is an angel, as is my wife.
you can learn a lot from social media

Doesn’t matter, I still find influencing (on TikTok and Instagram) to be the most useless job as per your question.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
Speak for yourself. My mum is an angel, as is my wife.

I think that the emoji 😭 signifies that they have the same belief as you (“why are mums on the list?”) but I could be wrong.
Reply 38
they save lives!??! doctors are the most important job.

That is a contradiction since dropshippermen generate passive income wheras doctors do not therefore, they cannot be the most important job.
Reply 39
a mother? most important job. give me one good reason why being a mother is not important.

being a mother has no good exit oppurtunities. Do you think putting down that you are a mother on your CV would get you hired in a hedge fund or private equity? Didn't think so. It's honestly pretty overhyped.

Quick Reply