The Student Room Group

what's the most useless job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user1298371
what's a pyramid scheme operator

A pyramid scheme is basically any kind of organisation where people are told that they can make money by recruiting other people into the organisation. To join, each person has to pay a certain amount of money to the person who recruited them, but then they hope to make a profit by recruiting recruit more people and receiving money from them (who in turn hope to make a profit by recruiting even more people, and so on...). It's called a "pyramid scheme" because you have one person at the top, his few recruits below him, then each of their few recruits below them etc. so it looks like a pyramid with a widening membership the further down you go. Money flows from the people at the bottom of the pyramid to the people higher up.

The point is that the organisation isn't providing a useful service to anybody, they're just enticing people with the hope that they'll make money from recruiting others (which most people don't, as the number of people at the bottom increases exponentially until there's nobody left to recruit).

Some organisations attempt to mask this by purporting to provide some sort of product to those who join the organisation (e.g. membership of a support group, professional networking group, get-rich-quick seminars etc.) but the intention isn't to actually provide anything of any real value. The business model isn't about people joining because they want that product, but rather because they want to make money from recruiting others.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Is being a king or a queen really a job? I know I have asked this question before, but are they paid for it or do the country pay the charges for the royals?

Yes, "working royals" receive money from taxpayers.
Reply 62
its the most important job (parents) because thats how humanity personally grow. you (presumably) were brought up by some guardian, probably your parents. they brought you up to how you are now. a mother is an important job because it grows a baby into a child, then into a teenager. being a parent shares that personal experience with you and shapes you as a person. (not entirely, but it is a factor.) so you're wrong.

I was in fact not brought up by a "mother". As soon as I was born, I began applying to IB spring weeks and successfully converted one into a full time offer allowing me to be raised exclusively by the Financial Times and top investment bankers in Canary Wharf.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 63
Original post by x-wing_pilot
i had hoped this was a joke but i was wrong 🙂
i mean, you literally mention that they maintain critical infrastructure... meaning that you do realise that the survival of the human race is a somewhat important thing. at the very least, i really don't understand how you could speak of mothers in such a way. you wouldn't exist if not for a mother. nobody would. we'd be non existent.

Perhaps I did not clarify critical infrastructure properly, my bad. I meant what people percieve as "critical infrastructure". Typically people mean trivial/materialistic things like electricity, gas and water. Once you know how the world works, you will realise that the only thing keeping all this together is the finance and dropshipping industry. You need to educate yourself.

"you wouldn't exist if not for a mother." - This statement is false. I was a test tube baby.
Original post by tazarooni89

Royals are paying like politicians too, so by the people who are paying their taxes. Makes sense. Thanks!

actually no, they don't. They are paid out of the 'Sovereign Grant' which is income the royal family generates from assets they own. they submit all these earnings to the treasury, and the amount they are allowed BACK is calculated by the treasury. So actually the Royal Family are net CONTRIBUTORS to tax payers via giving back most of their earnings to the treasury each year.
Original post by albanyexpression
actually no, they don't. They are paid out of the 'Sovereign Grant' which is income the royal family generates from assets they own. they submit all these earnings to the treasury, and the amount they are allowed BACK is calculated by the treasury. So actually the Royal Family are net CONTRIBUTORS to tax payers via giving back most of their earnings to the treasury each year.

The portfolio of assets you're referring to (namely, the Crown Estate) isn't owned by Charles III or the royal family personally; it belongs to the Crown. What this means is that the monarch, whoever that happens to be at the time, is only officially said to "own" it in the sense that they are the one wearing the crown. In reality and for all practical purposes, it is the rightful property of the state.

This is why the profits generated by it have to go to the Treasury, the elected government has full authority to decide what to do with those profits, and other powers of ownership over the estate itself are fully exercised by a public body (the Crown Estate Commissioners). Charles himself has no personal claim to it, no real say in any of its affairs, and hypothetically if he abdicated or if the monarchy were abolished, then he wouldn't be entitled to take any of those assets with him.

To say that the royal family are net contributors to the taxpayer is highly misleading and relies on quite the sleight of hand. What they are supposedly "contributing" already belonged to the taxpayer the first place; the idea that the assets that generated it "belong to the King" is little more than a figure of speech. So the fact that the royal family receive any of it "back" at all in the form of the Sovereign Grant is actually a pure cost to the taxpayer. (And that's before we even get into the extra costs like security, weddings, funerals, coronations, jubilees, the profits from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall that go into their pockets, the tax exemptions they enjoy etc.)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Greg8881
Perhaps I did not clarify critical infrastructure properly, my bad. I meant what people percieve as "critical infrastructure". Typically people mean trivial/materialistic things like electricity, gas and water. Once you know how the world works, you will realise that the only thing keeping all this together is the finance and dropshipping industry. You need to educate yourself.

"you wouldn't exist if not for a mother." - This statement is false. I was a test tube baby.

ok u were.a test tube baby but you were still created from and egg and sperm THEREFORE some sort of parents were involved.
Reply 68
Original post by albanyexpression

do royals earn money from countries outside the uk?
Reply 69
The portfolio of assets you're referring to (namely, the Crown Estate) isn't owned by Charles III or the royal family personally; it belongs to the Crown. What this means is that the monarch, whoever that happens to be at the time, is only officially said to "own" it in the sense that they are the one wearing the crown. In reality and for all practical purposes, it is the rightful property of the state.

This is why the profits generated by it have to go to the Treasury, the elected government has full authority to decide what to do with those profits, and other powers of ownership over the estate itself are fully exercised by a public body (the Crown Estate Commissioners). Charles himself has no personal claim to it, no real say in any of its affairs, and hypothetically if he abdicated or if the monarchy were abolished, then he wouldn't be entitled to take any of those assets with him.

To say that the royal family are net contributors to the taxpayer is highly misleading and relies on quite the sleight of hand. What they are supposedly "contributing" already belonged to the taxpayer the first place; the idea that the assets that generated it "belong to the King" is little more than a figure of speech. So the fact that the royal family receive any of it "back" at all in the form of the Sovereign Grant is actually a pure cost to the taxpayer. (And that's before we even get into the extra costs like security, weddings, funerals, coronations, jubilees, the profits from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall that go into their pockets, the tax exemptions they enjoy etc.)

what do the royals use then to buy things from their own money. like if they wanted to buy clothes or smth
(edited 6 months ago)
what do the royals use then to buy things from their own money. like if they wanted to buy clothes or smth

King Charles and Prince William both receive all of the income generated by the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall, respectively, which is roughly £20m-25m each per year. That money goes into their pockets and they can do whatever they want with it. They are also exempt from paying income tax on any of this (although they do "voluntarily" pay tax on it anyway). Again, similarly to the Crown Estate, they don't actually own these assets personally, they're owned by the state; the state just gives all the income to the royals.

They also generate their own private income from assets that do belong to them personally, some of which will have been funded by income from these duchies, others which will have mainly been inherited.
Reply 71
King Charles and Prince William both receive all of the income generated by the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall, respectively, which is roughly £20m-25m each per year. That money goes into their pockets and they can do whatever they want with it. They are also exempt from paying income tax on any of this (although they do "voluntarily" pay tax on it anyway). Again, similarly to the Crown Estate, they don't actually own these assets personally, they're owned by the state; the state just gives all the income to the royals.

They also generate their own private income from assets that do belong to them personally, some of which will have been funded by income from these duchies, others which will have mainly been inherited.

ok thanks. and yk when they say they have "duties" to do- what exactly do they do?
ok thanks. and yk when they say they have "duties" to do- what exactly do they do?

It's mostly hosting or appearing at events and ceremonies, presenting awards, giving speeches, putting their signatures on documents, publicly expressing support for various charitable causes... nothing requiring any particular knowledge, skills or qualifications.

Quick Reply