This discussion is closed.
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you're a girl, then New Hall goes on the list too. if you're a boy, then New hall and newnham are pretty high up on your list of best colleges :p:
srmcit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
elpaw: yes, too much money isn't always a good thing.
elles: don't take offence, i did put 'they're hardly 'bad' colleges, and i'd probably come to love those characteristics if i studied there.'
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What is it with all the anti Girton sentiment? Just because you have to do a bit of exercise instead of being lazy bums.
this is what it should be:

1. St John's (Annoyingly posh)
2. Kings (Tourists and an over-rated choir)
3. Trinity (Just too big, plus i got studded in the head by one of their jackass forwards playing football against them)
4. Fitzwilliam (Ugly)
5. Churchill (Bowel-movingly ugly)
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by srmcit)
elles: don't take offence, i did put 'they're hardly 'bad' colleges, and i'd probably come to love those characteristics if i studied there.'
oh no, i'm not offended! :p: just wondered what you meant by 'overblown'.

but then perhaps i'm far to blase about the whole college seeing it everyday, so it just seems normal & sort of homely to me! whilst tourists tend to stand around gawping & frantically taking pictures..
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Poor St John's...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I actually don't think Girton, Fitz or Churchill are that bad - the people I know from all of them seem great, despite their colleges being somewhat remote and/or ugly.

I can't think of any colleges I really dislike, but in order of places I would not like to be at, there's
1) Homerton. Nobody takes it seriously, they have really anal rules about residency, are miles away and have some of the most expensive rents in Cambridge.
2) New Hall. Work it out for yourself :p:
3) King's. Too big for its boots, too many tourists
4) Christ's. Just scary
5) Newnham. Nicer than New Hall, but still...
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
the central Turl street indistinguishable masses
:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

You can't diss Turl St!!!! It's the place to be!!!
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK. Architecturally:

1. Churchill (duh)
2. New Hall
3. Fitz
4. Robinson
5. Clare Hall - the only grad college I've really looked at but it mings...

In terms of the people I've met and whether I'd like to live there:

1. Christ's - obvious reasons, couldn't deal with the stress!
2. New Hall
3. Newnham - both because I don't think I'd enjoy living with so many other women!
4. Peterhouse - the porters were mean to me :mad:
5. People will laugh but... Emma! The people in my lectures and labs from Emma are a bit up their own arses, to be honest :s:

*preparing for flaming*
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

You can't diss Turl St!!!! It's the place to be!!!
probably - but given as i'm not :p: & still have no idea/real reason to know which college there is which.. :aetsch:
srmcit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
oh no, i'm not offended! :p: just wondered what you meant by 'overblown'.
i actually think that Magdalen's gorgeous; it's really very beautiful. however, because it's so theatrical you have to deal with all the baggage that comes with that. i guess overblown means: grandiose, colossal architecture and touristy.
srmcit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is churchill the single least desirable college in either oxford and cambridge? it doesn't seem to get great coverage.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is churchill the single least desirable college in either oxford and cambridge? it doesn't seem to get great coverage.
I think it has nice atmosphere, it's just ugly and out.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i actually think that Magdalen's gorgeous; it's really very beautiful. however, because it's so theatrical you have to deal with all the baggage that comes with that. i guess overblown means: grandiose, colossal architecture and touristy.
fair enough.. i don't think the architecture's that grandiose or colossal myself, TBH. our chapel is fairly small, just the one tower & quite a bit of open space & 3 sided quads rather than being crammed in - with lawns students can walk on & addison's walk & deer park & sports grounds on site etc. but 'different strokes for..'

& although we may comment on the tourists - they're honestly not bad at all.. it's levaing college & wlaking up the high street that gets annoying in the summer. probably because we're all the way down the high street, our opening hours are really limited & porters ferocious when needs be..

tourist: y'know, if you guys didn't charge, you'd have thousands of us visiting you every day!
boyf working on visitors scheme: yes. that's why we charge.

:p:
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that St Catz, oxford is the ugliest

followed by ummm...noone i suppose.

St- catz is the most modern, concrete one, right, hehe

Phil>>sorry catz people :rolleyes:
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
5. People will laugh but... Emma! The people in my lectures and labs from Emma are a bit up their own arses, to be honest :s:

*preparing for flaming*
with the way my cox is behaving on the river recently, I really can't blame you! But generally I think you're just a bit unlucky to get those few people who are a bit arsey here at emmanuel....there are some, but not many afaiaa
ak763
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
1) Homerton. Nobody takes it seriously
Don't let a Homertonian(?) hear you say that!! Just because they let people in with BBC, it doesn't mean they're not an academic superpower. :aetsch:
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
with the way my cox is behaving on the river recently, I really can't blame you! But generally I think you're just a bit unlucky to get those few people who are a bit arsey here at emmanuel....there are some, but not many afaiaa
I'm sure you aren't all like that Just on the basis of the Emmanuelites I've met it doesn't come high up my list of colleges....
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it's Emmanuelites.......Emma-ites or Emmites is an insult, correct your post at once!
Sorry to be so strict about it, but it's what I was told!
thank you!
Splinter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well, at least noone put Caius down
spurs123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
OK. Architecturally:

1. Christ's - obvious reasons, couldn't deal with the stress!

its not that bad.... is it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (11)
68.75%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
18.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
12.5%

Watched Threads