Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    re. Christ's: Come exam-time it feels like Death Row the night before an execution... Not that I've ever been on Death Row, you understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zip it123)
    its not that bad.... is it?
    You make it look like I'm criticising Christ's architecture! Christ's is very pretty. But it is an academically demanding place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    tourist: y'know, if you guys didn't charge, you'd have thousands of us visiting you every day!
    boyf working on visitors scheme: yes. that's why we charge.
    ROFLOL! Brilliant! I lurrrve Magdalen.

ReputationRep:
    Not being an Oxbridge student, I know little about the colleges; but when I went on a day course at Pembroke, Cambridge, the porter was incredibly rude and the students didn't seem to have a clue about where anything was in their college.

ReputationRep:
    most students tend to only know where the facilities which they use often are! For example, all students know where the hall is, but other than that most wont use anything else on a regular basis around college (you could ask them where the laundrette is, but I dont see that being a big question on the prospective student side)

ReputationRep:
    Corpus is the worst because they pooled me...

Jesus is the best because they picked me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splinter)
    well, at least noone put Caius down
    We can if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srmcit)
    that's a difficult question to answer. colleges can be quite idiosyncratic and therefore each has its own charms and peculiarities. as such i don't really have five that i think are particularly worse than others. if the question was to choose five colleges that i wouldn't really want to go to, it would be something along the lines of...

1. magdalen (too overblown),
    2. christ church (too moneyed),
    3. teddy hall (too stifling),
    4. merton (too serious)
    5. LMH (too far).

but they're hardly 'bad' colleges, and i'd probably come to love those characteristics if i studied there.
    There is nothing wrong with Merton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Merton - scary tutors
    Who do you mean? (initals will suffice)

ReputationRep:
    What's so bad about Fitz?
    Ok some of the buildings are ugly, but the gardens are nice.
    And come on, they picked me so they can't be that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollo Loco)
    What is it with all the anti Girton sentiment? Just because you have to do a bit of exercise instead of being lazy bums.
    this is what it should be:

1. St John's (Annoyingly posh)
    2. Kings (Tourists and an over-rated choir)
    3. Trinity (Just too big, plus i got studded in the head by one of their jackass forwards playing football against them)
    4. Fitzwilliam (Ugly)
    5. Churchill (Bowel-movingly ugly)
    I agree about the Girton-thing. Girton should not be rated as one of the worst colleges in Cambridge, as it is not in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Who do you mean? (initals will suffice)
    i don't know names (though RC was mad in lectures!)..just impression i've got & that they weren't thrilled with the 2nd year's exam results.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    I agree about the Girton-thing. Girton should not be rated as one of the worst colleges in Cambridge, as it is not in Cambridge.
    By default, it is also the best Cambridge college outside Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    By default, it is also the best Cambridge college outside Cambridge.
    But it is not a Cambridge college. It is a Girton college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i don't know names (though RC was mad in lectures!)..just impression i've got & that they weren't thrilled with the 2nd year's exam results.. :confused:
    I make no comment about RC - he is not too popular with me at the mo. They seem allright with us lot, but that means very little. I could imagine them getting quite nasty if it came to it :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    There is nothing wrong with Merton.
    full stop. no room for opinion. case closed.

ReputationRep:
    did a double take when people said "catz", as i reckon we have the balance about right... but then i realised they meant catz oxford.

catz cambridge is amazing, aesthetically it's not brilliant but it's okay, sports-wise we kick everyones arses in hockey, people-wise it's very friendly, down to earth, not too pretentious, we have one of the best MIXED chapel choirs in Cambridge (which is mostly made up of volunteers like me, rather than choral scholars). and we're comfortably in the top 10 academically (7th I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    What's so bad about Fitz?
    Ok some of the buildings are ugly, but the gardens are nice.
    And come on, they picked me so they can't be that bad
    Nowt wrong with Fitz in my opinion apart from the architecture! hence it appears in my worst architecture list but not my worst to live in list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    But it is not a Cambridge college. It is a Girton college.
    Well, there's no University of Girton as far as I know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srmcit)
    full stop. no room for opinion. case closed.
    do you go it then? What is wrong with it, in your view?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.