The Student Room Group

Parents forcing me to have a level biology tuition

I am a student in Year 12. At gcse I achieved 9 grade 9s and 1 grade 8. I have always done quite well academically.

My parents have always wanted me to do well, and paid for online tuition for a large part of my GCSE years. I never felt like I gained a lot from it, and that it was largely a waste of my time so at the start of Year 11 I convinced my parents to stop paying for tuition and let me focus on my own independent revision. Reluctantly, they agreed and it clearly worked out fine.

Now, they have again gotten me three tutors for my A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My Biology tutor has recently become unable to tutor me, due to scheduling conflicts. I then took the opportunity to tell them that I feel confident enough in Biology at the moment without the tuition, and they shouldn't bother trying to find a new one.
However, they are convinced that I am in dire need of a Biology tutor (despite the fact that I have done very well so far) and are completely ignoring my own wishes. I have promised them that if I need help I will ask for it, but they are still forcing me to have one.

It's frustrating because they have come out with comments like "nobody knows everything" and I have never claimed to! I just don't see the point of doing tuition for a subject that I currently feel comfortable with.

I am also fully aware that to many people reading this thread I will sound privileged and ungrateful but I appreciate that they're trying to help me in the way they think is best. It's just not what I need right now. How do I get them to listen to me?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am a student in Year 12. At gcse I achieved 9 grade 9s and 1 grade 8. I have always done quite well academically.

My parents have always wanted me to do well, and paid for online tuition for a large part of my GCSE years. I never felt like I gained a lot from it, and that it was largely a waste of my time so at the start of Year 11 I convinced my parents to stop paying for tuition and let me focus on my own independent revision. Reluctantly, they agreed and it clearly worked out fine.

Now, they have again gotten me three tutors for my A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My Biology tutor has recently become unable to tutor me, due to scheduling conflicts. I then took the opportunity to tell them that I feel confident enough in Biology at the moment without the tuition, and they shouldn't bother trying to find a new one.
However, they are convinced that I am in dire need of a Biology tutor (despite the fact that I have done very well so far) and are completely ignoring my own wishes. I have promised them that if I need help I will ask for it, but they are still forcing me to have one.

It's frustrating because they have come out with comments like "nobody knows everything" and I have never claimed to! I just don't see the point of doing tuition for a subject that I currently feel comfortable with.

I am also fully aware that to many people reading this thread I will sound privileged and ungrateful but I appreciate that they're trying to help me in the way they think is best. It's just not what I need right now. How do I get them to listen to me?

I completely understand you I believe your parents are coming from a good place and only want you to succeed however you should ask them before an upcoming mock to stop tutoring and show them the results you can achieve without it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending