Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay,

I got Unconditional Offers from Exeter, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester, Warwick and Birmingham for law.

Hmm.. How is the cost of living in these universities? I know they are much much lower than London.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    well u can look it up on the internet..the universities always mention the living expenses in their online prospectus

through this web page:
    http://www.ucas.com/instit/index.html
    u can find any hopage of UK universities..so just check it there : )

oh and btw.. congratulation
    ( i will b also applying 4 Manchester nd Birmingham next year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ericz)
    Southampton
    is my hometown.. much lower than london. but going out in general etc. seems fairly on a par with Oxford - which apparently is the next most expensive after London.

so the whole 'Southern' thing might push prices up.
    but likewise - any part time job you'll perhaps earn more than at your other choices.

no idea about rents there, i'm afraid! but transport may also be an issue as AFAIK most university departments are away from the halls, which again are away from the centre of town.

PQ will probably have more hard facts for you though!

& hopefully finances aren't your main concern about wear to pick - because outside london i think everywhere's do-able with some budgeting & holiday employment!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham isn't an expensive city but i gather B'ham uni accommodation is quite pricey from what was said on an open day i went to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ericz)
    Okay,

I got Unconditional Offers from Exeter, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester, Warwick and Birmingham for law.

Hmm.. How is the cost of living in these universities? I know they are much much lower than London.

Thanks in advance.
    Exeter is an expensive place to be. This is mainly due to accommodation price: an utterly crap self catering place costs £55, whereas another uni could charge that for a decent place. The best self catered is £75/85, the worst catered £97 and the best catered £115

ReputationRep:
    Soton accommodation is very reasonable, the website is www.accommodation.soton.ac.uk

Prices are generally cheaper than London but not as cheap as living up north obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I am at Plymouth but expect it is similar to Exeter.....halls range from £45 (don't do it!) to £90 a week. I am currently spending about £6-7k a year which is waaaaaay over budget!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Southern places tend to be more expensive than places up north.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.