This discussion is closed.
madhapper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hi guys just a quick question..my brother is doing his gcse coursework to do with the fencing problem..u knw the 1 where a farmer has 1000m of fencing and she has to decide which shape gives her the largest area...anyway i was wandering what sort of graphs should go in the coursework..

i was thinking something along the line of regular polygon size (i.e number of sides) against the area to perimeter ratio.....what other graphs would go well..(bare in mind he is doing the intermediate level so apparently he shouldnt be using formulas :confused: which is a bit silly as i think at the end you are supposd to find a formula are you not?)

thanx guys for ur help in advance
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
firstly i'd try simple things. assume a farmer's field is quadrilateral and then show a square would cover the largest area of those. then show for triangular field that regular n-gon has the largest area. then see what effect number of sides has on the area. (areas can be worked out by splitting into triangles) i think the final answer will be a circular field.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (3)
3.45%
Confident (9)
10.34%
Indifferent (8)
9.2%
Unsure (20)
22.99%
Worried (47)
54.02%

Watched Threads