Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    hi guys just a quick question..my brother is doing his gcse coursework to do with the fencing problem..u knw the 1 where a farmer has 1000m of fencing and she has to decide which shape gives her the largest area...anyway i was wandering what sort of graphs should go in the coursework..

    i was thinking something along the line of regular polygon size (i.e number of sides) against the area to perimeter ratio.....what other graphs would go well..(bare in mind he is doing the intermediate level so apparently he shouldnt be using formulas :confused: which is a bit silly as i think at the end you are supposd to find a formula are you not?)

    thanx guys for ur help in advance

    firstly i'd try simple things. assume a farmer's field is quadrilateral and then show a square would cover the largest area of those. then show for triangular field that regular n-gon has the largest area. then see what effect number of sides has on the area. (areas can be worked out by splitting into triangles) i think the final answer will be a circular field.
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2005

University open days

  • Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here


How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way


Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.