Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Physics feels like an A2 subject now!
    Its much, much harder than PHY4 in my opinion. We've just started capacitors, and its all very heavy going. Im not looking forward to PHY6!

ReputationRep:
    For me phy5 is the easiest module.

The pratical is easy if you do a level maths. I've been getting 100% on most of the past papers. The capicitor questions are probably the hardest. The gravitational field questions are easy, especially the ones with about centripetal acceleration.

i found phy4 hardest only because there is alot to cover, unlike module 5.

Phy6 is the asymnotic, i did well crap last year. I think that's the hardest paper - 20% of a level.

p.s do you have any past papers?

ReputationRep:
    PHY6 is positively evil!
    It is so hard, and you cannot make any mistakes because you cant retake it!

How come youve already done PHY6?

Im only doing AS maths, so I might struggle with the practical. What sort of maths is required? I think I should start learning it now

(BTW, All my past papers are on paper, not on the computer)

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my 3rd year [repeating]

I got D for AS & U For Alevel when i was at this crap college.
    I'm quite good now though. From what i can remember from phy6, the first question has a massive chunk of writing to read and then you have to answer questions from it, can get quite confusing & also there are quite alot of trick' questions too. In phy5 there is also loads of trick questions, make sure you read question about 3 times before answering.

If you do edexecel maths.
    Good knowledge of logs is required; C2 Maths.

That's it really, AS maths is enough; make sure you are good at comparing equations to y=mx + c. Once you've done that & mastered the theoritcal paper you can easily get 100%.

btw what would you say is the hardest bit of PHY4

ReputationRep:
    I really didnt find PHY4 that challenging at all, and Im not ever that clever(compared some of the genius' here!)
    The photoelectric effect, and the quantum mechanics stuff(energy levels etc) was easy, once you got your head around the concepts. The circular motion and waves stuff was pretty straight forward too.

To be honest, the hardest part, was trying to figure out what the questions were about! The Jan05 PHY4 paper(edexcel) was soo confusing. Im definately going to have to retake it.

I dont know much about logs, I dont remember doing them at GCSE. Im doing C1 S1 and M1 for Maths, so I guess I wont be covering logarithms laws and stuff in C2.
    Ive learnt how to compare everything to y=mx+c, and rearrange equations.. Edexcel is completely obsessed with it!

I can understand how you can fail if you have a crap teacher and college. Im also in a pretty rubbish college, and my teacher isnt very good. I have to teach myself nearly everything from books.

ReputationRep:
    Which books do you use for revision?

Only books i have are:
    This orange/pink one which is pretty useless]
    Blue one with women in the water with her sole of her feet on the water [good book]
    AZ physics which is ok

You could always buy the C2 book from heinamann. It's really good; best book i've got. It's about £11, or you can just go on sites like http://www.mathsnet.com/ and learn. I dont think logs are covered @ gcse, all you need to know is how to take logs of both sides, either logs to the base 10 or natural logs.

SHM is easy.

ReputationRep:
    PHY6 hard? Which course did you take? I remember in my PHY6 paper I had two questions that were well funny. They were SHM. What is the velocity of the vibrations when displacement was at its maximum? What is the acceleration of the vibrations when velocity was at its maximum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    PHY6 hard? Which course did you take? I remember in my PHY6 paper I had two questions that were well funny. They were SHM. What is the velocity of the vibrations when displacement was at its maximum? What is the acceleration of the vibrations when velocity was at its maximum?
    did u do edexcel? Thats what Im doing

ReputationRep:
    To be honest im finding phy5 quite easy. I havnt done anything too taxing yet and that includes capacitors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    wow those are easy questions.

Did polarisation come up on that phy6 paper?

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing A2 physics..edexcel..I don't know I think phy 5 is hard well mostly I'm terrified from phy 6,,,really am..:eek:I hope somebody would help me by putting a physics past papers link

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.