This discussion is closed.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Does anyone know any 'different' i.e. not famous, therefore slighlty unusual, sacred (though not necessarily liturgiacal) baritone pieces, suitable for the choral competition (Trinity applicant)?

Thanks,
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
Does anyone know any 'different' i.e. not famous, therefore slighlty unusual, sacred (though not necessarily liturgiacal) baritone pieces, suitable for the choral competition (Trinity applicant)?

Thanks,

Are you going for a bass position in the choir?

MB
JrW
Rep:
?
yes, i will be ticking the baritone box, but would sing bass in the choir.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes, i will be ticking the baritone box, but would sing bass in the choir.
If I remember right there are some very good vaughan williams songs for that range but I can't remember titles.

MB
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Thanks,
You do know you can sing anything. It doesn't have to be sacred, i didn't for mine. I did all secular stuff.
JrW
Rep:
?
okay...is there any good baritone pieces you know?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What year are you in Jamie?
JrW
Rep:
?
just out of interest, do most choral scholars (particularly at the better music colleges) have Music AS/A2?
JrW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
What year are you in Jamie?
Im in year 11, the only reason I am so inquisitive early on is because I have been told to start seriously thinking about colleges and courses if I want to apply for a choral scholarship, since I am going up with my music teachers to Cambridge to a couple of colleges for practise auditions this summer.

And in case you were wondering (I have said this before), I am a bit of a paranoid person. You may think im a bit of a weirdo being so interested so early on, but as soon as I get something in my head, I have to investigate it further else I cannot think properly or even get to sleep because things just loom over me. For some reason, I seem to have to plan a little too far in advance, else I am not mentally satisfied.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, I do think you're being incredibly paranoid and preparing far too early! I hadn't even started to consider universities until middle of L6th and didn't pick my college until mid-September! All very well being prepared but really don't make it your life.
JHutcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was worrying about getting the GCSE's for my sixth-form to take me on then... lol i would calm down
JrW
Rep:
?
I admit I have to really calm down....
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you make such a huge thing of it, an unsuccessful application will hurt so much more
JrW
Rep:
?
That's precisely what I am worried about...therefore I propose to ban myself from regularly thinking about it, if possible
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know my friend, who's got a deferred place for King's next year, doesn't even have Music GCSE. I suspect he did sacred stuff for his audition though.

Edit to add: he decided to go for a choral award in the summer of LVI.
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'Fraid i don't know any good Baritone pieces as i'm a tenor by trade. I did music up to GCSE and was fine, just. My audition included a bit of theory which is not my strong point. Your sight reading has to be fairly good though as that is the way you're expected to learn nearly all of the music you'd be doing. Also i don't think you need to worry about it just yet. I had never had a singing lesson before my audition and i supposeit might have helped but it isn't a requirement.

Dan
JrW
Rep:
?
Just out of interest, what sort of standard was the sight-singing because the levels of difficulty vary tremendously...if you could give a rough grade that would be helpful. Also, what sort of aural tests do you do?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just out of interest, what sort of standard was the sight-singing because the levels of difficulty vary tremendously...if you could give a rough grade that would be helpful. Also, what sort of aural tests do you do?
I got given a strange piece, the notes weren't that hard but it was in Latin, ooh that was fun. A rough grade? Hmmm, i'm not sure i'd say probably 6 or 7. Maybe 8 if you're unlucky or they're feeling mean. Aural tests were like Grade 8 really. Only more geared towards music, you know, they give you a chord and you pitch a requested note, usually one in or related to the chord. Stuff like that and they do test to determine your range, usually with arpeggios (sp?). I got up to a B flat above middle C, nasty stuff though. I can't really remember too well because i was dead nervous.
JrW
Rep:
?
Pollo_loco, what college did you apply for?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pollo_loco, what college did you apply for?
Girton. :top:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed