The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Cornwall Campus

I've applied to the Cornwall Campus for Exeter and was just wondering whether the standard of teaching here would be the same as in the actual Exeter University? And it would be useful if anyone had any information about this place in general as I'm having difficulty finding much about it :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The standard would be exactly the same.
I have an offer from there but the traveling seems ridiculous.
Looks really nice there though, did you go and visit?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I haven't visited it yet, but when I got an offer they sent me a list of dates to go visit. It sounds really nice, but I'm just slightly concerned about what the night life and stuff would be like and also its forever away from London (where i live) and so I wouldn't be able to travel back on the weekends at all. Also I'm scared that coming from somewhere like London I'd get bored there :P
Reply 3
Search the forum - there are plenty of threads around - heres one the a google search dragged up http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=646619
Falmouth's beautiful and the nightlifes not too bad either! I'm the other way around to you- I'm from Cornwall but studying in London and I miss the calmness (and fresh air haha) and the way of life. Londons giving my wrinkles and greys! Ok I'm only 18 but still, you wouldn't wanna go back to London after the laid back nature of Cornwall...
Reply 5
But I love London :P though it would be nice to maybe experience a slightly different life style for a few years seeing as I have never lived anywhere else. But I'm not sure whether University is the time for that :P but I am seriously considering it though
Seriously Tremough is fine, as far as i am aware the teaching standard is exactly the same in most subjects and for some (CSM) they don't teach it at main Exeter. and at the end of the day you still get a degree from Exeter University not Exeter University - Cornwall Campus.

The campus is really nice, very very small by university standards but that is what i like, accommodation is also generally awesome. Yes travelling is the only real issue as Cornwall is a along way from anywhere and its a bit different with the biggest city having a population of 20,000 people but i love it :smile:

BTW what course were you thinking of doing?
Reply 7
I've applied to do English Lit there. Glad to hear that theres no difference of standards between the universities and it does make sense like that :P Do you go there then?
Reply 8
Yeah we're miles from anywhere :P
Falmouth's not bad for clubbing, but if you want lots of variety, its not going to happen. The bar on campus looks good though, and i heard freshers was good (i live about 5 miles away so i know all lol)
The standard of teaching is the same, and they link a lot of lectures with the Exeter campus. The difference is grades is, as someone said, because Tremough's fairly new and not very established yet i guess
If anyone wants to know anything about it, pm me and il try and get back to you :smile:
Reply 9
What course have you applied for OP?
Seriously, don't worry about the nightlife. Like with any uni, its exactly what you make of it.. theres over 1000 students here so its not like we all just sit in our rooms silently the whole time!! the campus is growingg aswell and is due to double in size in the next few years.. actually... im quite late for a lecture so ill edit this when i return!
Reply 10
Rightt.Teaching is exactly the same standard as main campus. The lecturers here are very good and it maybe even beneficial as class sizes are generally smaller. Some lectures are video-linked from the main campus, but thats not really an issue.. doesnt make any difference to the teaching which is still interactive - ie, its live, they can see you aswell, you can ask Qs through the microphones.. there wont be thatt many modules doing this though, and sometimes the lecture is linked to main campus & taught from Tremough.
Facilities here are great too - all brand new - gym, lecture theatres, labs, seminar rooms, library, it suites etc.
First year accomodation is in halls, the flats are soo nice. All new, fair sized rooms, double beds, ensuite bathroom with power shower, nice big pin board, and nice kitchens, shared between 7 people. If you're lucky you'll live right next to a laundry room which is greatt. Its layed out really nicely aswell, theres great views from the rooms and its close to the main buildings, theres an asda about 10mins walk away and a free bus there two days a week.
Buses are cheaper for students - 50p into Falmouth, where theres other supermarkets like a tesco & iceland, and its good for shopping aswell for clothes etc, also got 2 good fancy dress shops which come in handy!
Truro is about 15 mins train journey away and has bigger shops like topshop etc. - Penryn railway station is an easy 10-15 min walk from campus, and a day return to truro is about 1.65, but if you go in a group you can get it cheaper aswell.
Nightlife - i know people will tell you its really crap, and i was worried about it too before i got here, but its what you make of it really.. theres loads going on basically alll the time.. although theres no hugee clubs, of course its alot different to big city unis! but clubs i can think of... theres remedies, clubI, Qbar, shades, mango tango, shed... thats just off the top of my head, and yeahhh some of them are more just bars, some aren't all that huge.. people do tend to end up in rems at the end of the night! but its still good. theres a wetherspoons & loads of pubs etc. too. and theres usually an event going on somewhere. Taxis arent expensive back again either.. tho in second year you'd prob be living in fal anyway and not have to worry about that.
Theres a freshers fortnight here, with stuff happening the whole time and the Stannary always puts on a good event, after freshers theres stuff going on there most weekends, we've had school disco, launch party, halloween, RnB night, winter bash, Wiley (tho he did a no show tuttt), this term alone, and got Snowball on saturday which is always a sell out. Theres a quiz night, movie night, open mic night weekly in the stannary aswell. So always some thing going on. And also sports clubs & societies run through the FXU which organise regular events. So honestly don't worry about the nightlife! You won't be bored!
Its close to the beaches aswell, Gylly and Swanpool which are soo pretty and have beach bars aswell. Gylly has regular music events too, and occasionally get a good swell which pleases the surfers! If you're into surfing /wakeboarding etc or want to get into that then its perfect, theres a surf club aswell which goes out every weekend to Praa etc. ooh and theres a sea swimming club aswell which meets every sunday.. and yes, EVERY sunday including december / january!! on gylly beach!
As for travelling back home to London.. if you hop on a train to Truro, which doesnt take long, theres a direct line through to London Paddington. I live nearishh London, and ive been home for the weekend once, so its possible. The journey is quite long but its not that difficult to make, took me about 5/6 hours, but you can just do work etc. on the journey so its fine, especially if you're lucky enough to have mondays or fridays off (i wasnt lucky!).
I cant really think of much else.. but yeah, Tremough is great :smile:
ohh and i just noticed youre doing english.. theres an English society, and this xmas theyre having a social at the Eden Project with a 5 course meal! looks to be quite good! :biggrin:
And yeah the grade requirements are only lower cause people have this apprehension about it being so secluded and new! so we get less applicants. The campus is still growing though, so in a few years time i've no doubt the grade requirements will rise accordingly :smile:
Reply 11
qwertyasdf
I haven't visited it yet, but when I got an offer they sent me a list of dates to go visit. It sounds really nice, but I'm just slightly concerned about what the night life and stuff would be like and also its forever away from London (where i live) and so I wouldn't be able to travel back on the weekends at all. Also I'm scared that coming from somewhere like London I'd get bored there :P

Yeah I'm from London do - hence the traveling issue.
For me the course there sounds really good but I'm not sure I could live in that sort of environment having lived in London all my life, so I understand what your saying. Would it be your first choice?
Reply 12
Thanks for the info! the really reassuring. i was a bit worried about the social side of things but it sounds like there is nothing to worry about. I love the thought of being near the beach too.
thanks for the brief description of the campus Sarahl89 !!! it sounds like a place to me - relaxation but fun at the same time :smile:
Reply 14
hahah. yeah i got a bit carried away maybe. but its the holidays and im bored and missing it a bit!
Reply 15
It was actually really useful. I just re-read what you said and I actually feel pretty positive about maybe going there. Before, when i first read it, it was at a time I was feeling very anti-leaving London and so I wasn't very open to properly thinking about going there. But now thats changed slightly and your description really helped :smile:
Reply 16
Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask about prices of stuff down there. Coming from London I'm used to having to pay a lot of money to anything, and one thing I'm looking forward is to a cheaper cost of living :P Like how much would a typical pint cost? Also, I'm really keen on sailing (which is partly why I applied here) and I will hopefully be a qualified instructor by the time I'd go there so would I maybe get any job opportunities through this?
Ehhh pints in the stannary (Student union) are usually £1.90, quite often £1 a pint, but of course vary in the places around falmouth. Generally though i don't think its much cheaper than any other place mainly because its a big touristy destination.

I know a few people who sail and I am fairly sure there is a FXU sailing club.
Reply 18
Well, being used to pints generally costing about £3, that sounds pretty good to me :P And thats good about the sailing, one of the reasons i chose this campus was because i thought it would be good for sailing and other watersports :smile:
I'm second year Evolutionary Biology at Cornwall Campus and all I can say is STAY AWAY!

I came to Cornwall campus with top GCSES, three A's at A-level in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature and almost crashed and burned in my first year. For my degree, one in every four lecturers is totally incompetent and is obviously more interested in their own research than educating the minds sat in front of them. For English Lit. you have 1 hour of lectures a week according to one of my friends, would you spend £3k tuition fees for that?

Accomodation: Is good with double beds and ensuite at £93 a week but half the appliances break on a weekly basis and from speaking to the cleaners you don't want to know what goes on in the rooms over the summer, it's disgusting.

Nightlife: There is one decent club imo (choice of two) - Shades and it's teeny and it's only good on a Thursday.

Sorry to be so negative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending