This discussion is closed.
OpheliaImmortal
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
Hi,

I have three university Interviews at the moment for Chemistry at Birmingham, Nottingham and York. I just wanted to know if anybody could give me any information on what I should expect from the interviews, how long they'll probably last and so on. Will I be asked difficult questions about my A2 Chemistry course? I'm quite nervous, and worried about what I'll be asked. Any help would be appreciated lots and lots Eeesh it's quite scary, anyone else have interviews for these places, or interviews for Chemistry?

Thankee

x X x X x X x
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by OpheliaImmortal)
Hi,

I have three university Interviews at the moment for Chemistry at Birmingham, Nottingham and York. I just wanted to know if anybody could give me any information on what I should expect from the interviews, how long they'll probably last and so on. Will I be asked difficult questions about my A2 Chemistry course? I'm quite nervous, and worried about what I'll be asked. Any help would be appreciated lots and lots Eeesh it's quite scary, anyone else have interviews for these places, or interviews for Chemistry?

Thankee

x X x X x X x
Might sound irrelevent but what are your predicted grades?

If they're higher than a uni's average then the interview will more than likely be a formality to allow you to get a better idea of the course and to try and sell the uni to you. You're already more or less guaranteed an offer (unless you turn up in fancy dress and/or start insulting the interviewer).

If they're below a uni's average then it's possible that the interview will be fairly formal and will make a difference in whether you'll be offered a place or not.
OpheliaImmortal
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Might sound irrelevent but what are your predicted grades?

If they're higher than a uni's average then the interview will more than likely be a formality to allow you to get a better idea of the course and to try and sell the uni to you. You're already more or less guaranteed an offer (unless you turn up in fancy dress and/or start insulting the interviewer).

If they're below a uni's average then it's possible that the interview will be fairly formal and will make a difference in whether you'll be offered a place or not.
My predicted grades are A in Chemistry, Maths, Biology. I have an A at AS English Lit and I'm doing AS further maths too. I'm just nervous about the whole thing, I don't want to mess things up and go unprepared or something. Thank you for your reply

Hehehehe turning up in Fancy Dress was on the top of my list of things to do
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
My predicted grades are A in Chemistry, Maths, Biology. I have an A at AS English Lit and I'm doing AS further maths too. I'm just nervous about the whole thing, I don't want to mess things up and go unprepared or something. Thank you for your reply
Don't worry - with grades like that applying to a course as unpopular (depts are closing/threatened all over the country) as chemistry any interview (apart from an Oxbridge one) will be a marketing exercise to try and make sure you understand exactly what they are offering. They don't want people not bothering to visit and then picking their firm/insurance offers on the grades asked for only to turn up in Sept/Oct and hate the course and leave again...so they use an interview as an incentive to make sure you've visited and have a good feel for what the course will be like.

Don't be nervous, prepare if it will make you feel more confident...and if your mind goes blank at the interview simply tell the interviewer how nervous you are.

Congratulations
OpheliaImmortal
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Don't worry - with grades like that applying to a course as unpopular (depts are closing/threatened all over the country) as chemistry any interview (apart from an Oxbridge one) will be a marketing exercise to try and make sure you understand exactly what they are offering. They don't want people not bothering to visit and then picking their firm/insurance offers on the grades asked for only to turn up in Sept/Oct and hate the course and leave again...so they use an interview as an incentive to make sure you've visited and have a good feel for what the course will be like.

Don't be nervous, prepare if it will make you feel more confident...and if your mind goes blank at the interview simply tell the interviewer how nervous you are.

Congratulations
Awww thankyou Why are departments threatened? I didn't know the course was so unpopular, do you know if Career prospects are good with a Chemistry degree or not?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Awww thankyou Why are departments threatened? I didn't know the course was so unpopular, do you know if Career prospects are good with a Chemistry degree or not?
Not many people who are good at sciences follow the root of a science degree, they tend to go into medicine, but I wouldn't worry about career prospects if you are going to a good university.
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Depts are threatened because it's getting harder and harder to recruit good quality students - most 18 yr olds don't want to spend another 3/4 yrs studying chemistry - even the ones with good grades.

This works in your favour though - it means that qualified chemists are becoming rarer and rarer even though there are still the same (and in some areas more) number of jobs...and even if you decide to work outside of chemistry after graduation a chem degree is a great boon in going for the generic "graduate" jobs in management/finance etc etc
OpheliaImmortal
Okay that's putting my mind at rest a little Thankyou both for replying
king of swords
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I'm pretty sure that York just want an informal chat with you (just to make sure you're human ), because I went to one of their open days for chemistry and because they got an informakl chat with me there they didn't require an interview later. I got a straight offer from them .
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I think most people who are following the science route either tend to take a bio / phys route rather than chemistry or they will do something like biochemistry or another similar course. I don't know many people who go for a straight chemistry course. However, this is a good thing because there wont be as many chem grads around competing for the jobs (which i know are very well paid).
fausty
Report 18 years ago
k, so i just got back from birmingham having had an interview for chemistry. It is absolutely fine, no-one got asked a single chemistry question, they just want to see what kind of person you are. They seemed to be trying to sell the university to me insteady of me trying to sell myself to the university.

I just talked about rugby for half my interview, remember, the more you talk about what you want to, the less time there is for them to ask you difficult questions.

Hope this helps?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads