hi, could come sum1 plz explain how the bohr effect occurs? thanks
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What level is this for?

I'll assume A level for now ...

You have the saturation curve for Haemoglobin (sigmoidal in shape). The Bohr effect occurs in the presence of decreased pH, and it causes the curve to shift to the right (ie for the same ppO2, you now have less saturation of Haemoglobin). This explains why a lower pH promotes dumping of oxygen (useful as pH in tissues is about 0.3 units lower than in the lungs --> dumping of oxygen in tissues).

If you still don't understand or want more detail ... just ask
fairieboi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and the pH is low because of the way CO2 is carried in blood - when it enters red blood cells it is converted into carbonic acid, which dissociates forming protons (more protons = lower pH) and hydrogencarbonate ions. the protons are 'mopped up' by the haemoglobin to form haemoglobinic acid (HHb), which forces the haemoglobin to release its oxygen load
oxymoron
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes ... actually, in a little more detail (NOT needed for A level though). Hb exists in two forms, the T form (with a lower affinity for oxygen) and the R form (with a higher O2 affinity)

H+ forces it into the T form which is how the oxygen affinity is decreased, whereas in the lungs the higher ppO2 forces it into the R form ... releasing the proton to combine with the HCO3- to form CO2 which can diffuse across the alveolus wall.
fairieboi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oxymoron)
Yes ... actually, in a little more detail (NOT needed for A level though). Hb exists in two forms, the T form (with a lower affinity for oxygen) and the R form (with a higher O2 affinity)

H+ forces it into the T form which is how the oxygen affinity is decreased, whereas in the lungs the higher ppO2 forces it into the R form ... releasing the proton to combine with the HCO3- to form CO2 which can diffuse across the alveolus wall.
hmmm. i kind of wish i was doing a science degree ;-/
oxymoron
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fairieboi)
hmmm. i kind of wish i was doing a science degree ;-/
and I wish I was doing an arts one :p:

No only joking ... but sometimes I do long for a lie-in!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed