This discussion is closed.
NavC
Badges:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Has anyone here applied to Oxford or know of anyone who has to read geography. If so, to which college and if anyone already does geography at Oxford could they please give some advice regarding interviews etc. I've applied to Worcester incidentally.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NavC)
Has anyone here applied to Oxford or know of anyone who has to read geography. If so, to which college and if anyone already does geography at Oxford could they please give some advice regarding interviews etc. I've applied to Worcester incidentally.
Talk to Jools
NavC
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Ok but would still like to know what colleges you applied to gpeople have applied to for geography
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Talk to Jools
Yeah I'm in the 2nd yr doing Geog at Ox. Worcester's a nice college, good choice, though the ppl in my year didn't do too well in their 1st yr Geog exams (four 2:2s and a 3rd). My (outdated) interview advice for Geog is here http://www.oxbridge-info.co.uk/profi...isp.asp?id=150
NavC
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Thanx Jools, man they covered a lot of stuff in your interview. Is it important to read a lot of books before interview or will I be fine as it is?
I heard that other then asking you generaly factual questions about geography the interviewers will want to know how you can answer an unfamiliar/difficult geography question from first principles using your own knowledge. Were there any examples of this in your interviews?
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NavC)
Thanx Jools, man they covered a lot of stuff in your interview. Is it important to read a lot of books before interview or will I be fine as it is?
I heard that other then asking you generaly factual questions about geography the interviewers will want to know how you can answer an unfamiliar/difficult geography question from first principles using your own knowledge. Were there any examples of this in your interviews?
Not essential to read any books.

The interview is in fact focussed on the latter, using first principles.

Every time I knew the answer to a question they stopped me and tried another.

They want to see how you can respond to something you're completely unfamiliar with, and have never studied in class.

Add me to MSN if you want further tips closer to the time, click "Jools" at the avatar for my addy.
NavC
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Ok, thnx Jools. I will do so closer to the time. Thanks a lot for your help.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
No-one here do geography?
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
No-one here do geography?
Jools does! Have you not been paying attention?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
That is only one person! Geography is a wonderful subject, interesting and relevant to daily life whereas you have people doing stuffy old computer science, how boring!!!
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
That is only one person! Geography is a wonderful subject, interesting and relevant to daily life whereas you have people doing stuffy old computer science, how boring!!!
Well I agree with you on the point about comp sci but most people here are GCSE/A-level or are in their first term of uni. I think only Jools is doing Geography at degree level.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I'm doing geography bt not at Oxford though. Anyone else?
picju96
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Did it at A level if that counts! Oh and one of my mates is doing it at Leeds uni...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Nah, doesn't count
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NavC)
don't do it!!!!!!

my friend ra does it @ hilda's - its a colouriong in degree!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

(j/k!!!!)
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
don't do it!!!!!!

my friend ra does it @ hilda's - its a colouriong in degree!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

(j/k!!!!)
Rach taking the piss out of Geographers here doesn't work when you're doing Philosophy & Theology!
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Rach taking the piss out of Geographers here doesn't work when you're doing Philosophy & Theology!
Guess it would help if I could spell colouring, huh??

I get soooooo much work than little Ra - she gets one essay a week whereas I get two plus logic exercises and soon I'll have to do gobbitts as well :eek:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hildabeast, surely only one essay a week is an advantage of doing geography?
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Jools! Hey, u showed me round Oxford on an open day a couple of months ago, duno if u remember me but hey!

Errrmm after much deliberation - I think you took me and tom round just about all the colleges! Tom and I fighted over who was going to apply to Keble so I (uncharactersitically) broke down and decided to apply to Jesus (good/bad anyone? lemmie kno!) and Keble is my 2nd choice with Brasenose 3rd) and I have my interviews starting this monday (5th dec) so I have to go down tomorrow!

AHHHHHH!!!! Any tips anyone???!!!! and anyone have any idea what the article is likely to be like i.e legnth and what journals they tend to use, or what the data they present you with is usually like? As you can probs guess im a tiieenny bit scared! I have 2 interviews one phys one human 20mins each, this seems quite quick so I guess they must motor in the interview.

any help much appreciated! hope alls going well!

Emma
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
Jools! Hey, u showed me round Oxford on an open day a couple of months ago, duno if u remember me but hey!

Errrmm after much deliberation - I think you took me and tom round just about all the colleges! Tom and I fighted over who was going to apply to Keble so I (uncharactersitically) broke down and decided to apply to Jesus (good/bad anyone? lemmie kno!) and Keble is my 2nd choice with Brasenose 3rd) and I have my interviews starting this monday (5th dec) so I have to go down tomorrow!

AHHHHHH!!!! Any tips anyone???!!!! and anyone have any idea what the article is likely to be like i.e legnth and what journals they tend to use, or what the data they present you with is usually like? As you can probs guess im a tiieenny bit scared! I have 2 interviews one phys one human 20mins each, this seems quite quick so I guess they must motor in the interview.

any help much appreciated! hope alls going well!

Emma
Quite a coincidence, yeah course I remember you... absolutely nothing wrong with Jesus college, its a decent location - walking distance from Geog/New bod library and Cornmarket which is where it's at shopswise - whilst Keble was great the disadvantage is that it's a bit further out.

Tips... too many, and I've been doing same old same old on MSN all this week! Article is likely to only be a page long, you get 30 mins so maybe find out more info on the topics when you get them through eg an A Level syllabus book. 20 mins is short but yes it's a quickfire round, be prepared they'll throw stuff at you (not literally). Red Bull gives me wings dunno abt the rest of y'all...

Gd luck! Enjoy your stay there, it's awesome meeting people from across the country/world. Keep in touch with a few, you never know these could be your good mates in a year's time...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads