This discussion is closed.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
thnx m8
emzie
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
WELL.....

my human geog interview was AWFUL yes i cried after, i was on some ungodly early time monday morning, the interviews did everything possible to put me off and get me on the wrong track! one of them was jus nodding the whole time even tho i knew i was goin off on the wrong track! the WHOLE interview was on a topic i hadn't covered yet at skool!!!!!!!! AHHH! and then... whilst i was mid flow the two interviers looked at each other and smirked!!! and then gave me worried looks! it was AWFUL the worst time opf my life, they made me get really confised and go bk on my points n stuf and the PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED etc until i couldnt think of nething else - i felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID! i ballsed everything up! then at the end they wer jus like thats the end of ur interview bye! and they were sitting so far apart that you could only look at one at a time grr! o yeh and no nice questions at the begining to settle your nerves - just BOOM straight in, and the article was an economics one - great if you do economics, not much help if you don't! They asked me NOTHING about extra reading n stuf and there was absoltly NO scope for me to direct the interview onto a different subject that I had actually studied or kno something about! they had really specific questions and wanted specific bullet point answers.

The physical geog one went LOADS better tho, i really enjoyed it, one of the interviews jus sat there looking bored at me tho! but the other one was getting really into it and all entuhasiastic and we went on for ages - i was in there for about 35 mins in a 20min interview lol, it was V.challenging and they pushed like hell, but unlike the human one i could cope with it and could answer all their questions (i think i did neway!!!). The article - "who threw the snowball" was challenging but i understood it phew!!! Altough one of the interviews was really nice and we chatted for ages, the other (bored looking one) couldnt get me out of the room at the end fast enough it seems! :s

2 ne oxford ppl, i'm really not confident at all about getin in at all esp afta the way the human ppl treated me n i would think that you would need two good interviews to get in?? I was like 2 compelety diff ppl lol!
emzie
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
how did the geogo ppl get on?
Veedy
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
how did the geogo ppl get on?
I think you and me were the only Oxbridge geography applicants on here Emzie :eek: . Good luck with ur app., u shud be getting your letter tomorrow....sure u'll be fine though
Rob24601
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
I find geography a fascinating subject and I cant understand why more people don't respect it for what it is. It encompasses many, many different areas of study such as economics, sociology, history, biology, information technology and loads of other subjects, and yet it is still thought to be a 'cushy' option.

As for you guys with offers for geog at Oxford, best of luck to all of you! I hope you get the grades you need to go. I am hoping to apply next year but the hype everyone gives to the interview process and the application process makes it sound very daunting :| It does sound like a torrid experience.
Veedy
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Rob24601)
I find geography a fascinating subject and I cant understand why more people don't respect it for what it is. It encompasses many, many different areas of study such as economics, sociology, history, biology, information technology and loads of other subjects, and yet it is still thought to be a 'cushy' option.

As for you guys with offers for geog at Oxford, best of luck to all of you! I hope you get the grades you need to go. I am hoping to apply next year but the hype everyone gives to the interview process and the application process makes it sound very daunting :| It does sound like a torrid experience.

Thnx Rob, I agree with you. Don't worry about applying. I've now realised that I stressed over it too much. Spend some time on your personal statement for a start, you'll also need two good essays and the interviews aren't as bad as you may think, though that depends on who you talk to . Personally mine were very enjoyable because we mainly discussed topics I had been doing in school recently which I also happen to have enjoyed, so if you really love georaphy and are enthusiastic about it then you are already half-way there in my opinion.

Have you had any thoughts on choice of college yet?
Rob24601
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
Well I started looking at doing Geog at Cambridge but then it seemed to me that people preferred Oxford for it, so i've sort of switched camps if you like lol :P There are so many Oxford colleges, I really haven't a clue where to start, do you have any tips on choosing one?
YouKnewThat!
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
Isn't St. Johns College supposed to be good for Geography?
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
Cambridge has a better reputation for Geog in terms of research. THE college is St Catz but I know people who got in to both Kings and Queens' last year and they are loving it. Very hard and intensive... but well worth it.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
Isn't St. Johns College supposed to be good for Geography?
St Johns is the best but they have a lot more work - there was a time last year they were on 3 essays a week whilst we were on 1.

I'd recommend Cambridge over Oxford for Geography as there's a lot more flexibility regarding the course - here especially in the 1st year you have a ton of compulsary core modules to do.
Veedy
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Rob24601)
Well I started looking at doing Geog at Cambridge but then it seemed to me that people preferred Oxford for it, so i've sort of switched camps if you like lol :P There are so many Oxford colleges, I really haven't a clue where to start, do you have any tips on choosing one?
Firstly my advice is that if you enjoy human and physical geography pretty much equally then you should enjoy the Oxford course (my reason for choosing it) otherwise the Cambridge course may suit you better.
Regarding colleges Hertford also has a great reputation for geography but for that reason they get loads of ppl applying. Out of the 30 undergraduate colleges only 14 do geography so that rules most of them out. In my opinion, if you want to go to Oxford but want none of the tradition whatsoever then you could choose Mansfield or St Catz, and also St Annes or St Peters to a lesser extent. If you want traditional Oxford then possibly christchurch, brasenose, St johns or hertford. I personally chose Worcester because it is a beautiful college which still has some tradition which I want but not overly so like some other colleges.
Note I don't actually go to Oxford uni, just got an offer so this advice is based on my visits to Oxford plus everything I've read/heard about the uni. Jools actually goes there so I would take more note of what he says
emzie
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
NavC, how did u get on?
Veedy
Rep:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
NavC, how did u get on?
Lol, NavC was me! I never bothered to register at the time, but now I've registered and changed my user name, so NavC = got on well!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.51%
Okay (113)
29.05%
A bit lacking (147)
37.79%
Not good at all (92)
23.65%

Watched Threads