Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I once met an internet boy and did kissin'. I made sure I knew stuff about him first though. I knew what he claimed his name was, he'd phoned my mobile from his house phone, so I knew his number, and he'd given me an address. I checked the BT website. It matched. Also, we'd been talking once and he mentioned his dad's job. Because his name is really unusual, I managed to trace his dad on the internet. I'd done cam-to-cam, in a face way, so I knew he wasn't some dodgy old man. My friends knew where I was going, and we met at a football match, so I was in public. I now know that his name is definitely his name, he has the ID cards to prove it and everything, and we're still close. I didn't take the decision to meet him lightly though, it can be dangerous and I think everyone should think about it. Treat it like meeting someone new in a bar, you don't know much about them - find out stuff in person, that's how you really get to know someone. Thing is, meeting someone from the internet is just like that, and a lot of people seem to think it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alarose)
    Hi, do you think it's a mad thing to date someone that you know form a chatroom, is it dangerous?
    yes. unless u've also managed to meet him up in real life OUTSIDE chatroom and know him more than just words he typed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you think it's a mad thing to date someone that you know form a chatroom, is it dangerous?
    depends, I did it but I was talking to that person on msn / the phone / email for at least three years before we met. I'm not saying you should necessarily wait that long, I only did for various reasons which meant it wouldn't be appropriate or sometimes even possible for us to meet / get together.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is cos I held a relationship over MSN for about two years.

ReputationRep:
    well it depends.. once i met with one guy i knew from chatroom..and he was really cute..but on the other hand i expected his behaviour to be completely different (according to the way he was writing..)

but it was fun
    one advice: if its the first time,,,meet in public places (you never know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    I once met an internet boy and did kissin'. I made sure I knew stuff about him first though. I knew what he claimed his name was, he'd phoned my mobile from his house phone, so I knew his number, and he'd given me an address. I checked the BT website. It matched. Also, we'd been talking once and he mentioned his dad's job. Because his name is really unusual, I managed to trace his dad on the internet. I'd done cam-to-cam, in a face way, so I knew he wasn't some dodgy old man. My friends knew where I was going, and we met at a football match, so I was in public. I now know that his name is definitely his name, he has the ID cards to prove it and everything, and we're still close. I didn't take the decision to meet him lightly though, it can be dangerous and I think everyone should think about it. Treat it like meeting someone new in a bar, you don't know much about them - find out stuff in person, that's how you really get to know someone. Thing is, meeting someone from the internet is just like that, and a lot of people seem to think it isn't.
    I was never that careful when meeting up with people, it was more just me talking to them for a bit, then just asking if they wanted to meet up and going. With Pikaboo and tis me lord, I even let them stay round my house without any previous meeting ups/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I don't think it is cos I held a relationship over MSN for about two years.
    Online Relationships often lead to hurt and disappointment. Meeting someone over the internet is fine but the proper "getting to know eachother part" should be done in person. It's not right to meet someone thinking that you're going to go out with eachother.
    But even if you try to avoid disappointment, it still really isn't accepted socially. I can't imagine meeting a girl over the net and the next day introducing her to some friends as a friend of mine that I met on the net. Whereas if you mention that you met in a bar, noone cares.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend knows how I met the boy I mentioned before, becuase she knew where I was the day I met him. Everyone else thinks I met him at the football, becuase I did.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.