The Student Room Group

Contextual offer Queens University Belfast

Hi! My little brother has just recieved an offer to study PPE at Queen's University Belfast in September, provided he achieves AAA. This is well within his capability under normal circumstances, but unfortunately we lost our mum in August after a short 6 month battle with cancer, and shockingly our granny too- only 10 days later.

This understandably interfered with his studies, as he was in and out of hospitals/hospices and trying to revise for AS next door to his dying mother. He did very well considering though, and got ABB results in AS!

So far in mocks etc. he is achieving similar results, which for someome in the midst of grief is amazing (I am currently in University and struggling immensely) but unfortunately this may not secure him a place in Queens. Is there some way to notify the university of his circumstances? Can he recieve a contextual offer after already receiving a normal offer?

He's been working so hard this last year, really throwing himself into school to try and get to where he wants to be, but is still very much in the middle of grieving. I would hate to see all his hard work down the drain because of this. If he doesn't get in he may have to study away from family, which I don'tthink would be good for his or my dads grief. Please help!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by aammbbeerr
Hi! My little brother has just recieved an offer to study PPE at Queen's University Belfast in September, provided he achieves AAA. This is well within his capability under normal circumstances, but unfortunately we lost our mum in August after a short 6 month battle with cancer, and shockingly our granny too- only 10 days later.

This understandably interfered with his studies, as he was in and out of hospitals/hospices and trying to revise for AS next door to his dying mother. He did very well considering though, and got ABB results in AS!

So far in mocks etc. he is achieving similar results, which for someome in the midst of grief is amazing (I am currently in University and struggling immensely) but unfortunately this may not secure him a place in Queens. Is there some way to notify the university of his circumstances? Can he recieve a contextual offer after already receiving a normal offer?

He's been working so hard this last year, really throwing himself into school to try and get to where he wants to be, but is still very much in the middle of grieving. I would hate to see all his hard work down the drain because of this. If he doesn't get in he may have to study away from family, which I don'tthink would be good for his or my dads grief. Please help!

Hello Amber,

Firstly, I deeply apologies for what you are going through, you and your family are strong for continuing to get up everyday and go about your days. Keep going. As for your brother, yes I would e-mail the university and explain to them everything, I think that will help you in the long run, it is worth a shot.

All the best to you and the family,
Hassa, Liverpool Hope University Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending