Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My sixth-form tutor read this in briefing a few months ago when we were getting stressed about uni applications, interviews etc... found it again and thought I'd share it. I know it looks long, but it's worth it :rolleyes:

A fishing boat docked in an idyllic Greek village shortly after noon. An English tourist admiring the modest catch complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"A couple of hours," answered the fisherman.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?"

The fisherman explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The Englishman asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, drink a few glasses of wine and sing a few songs,"

The Englishman interrupted, "I have a business degree from Cambridge and I can help you become very successful! You should start earlier and fish longer every day. You can then sell extra fish to a middleman. With the extra income, you can buy a bigger boat, enabling you to catch even more fish. With the extra money from the sale of the fish, you can buy a second boat, a third, and so on, until you have an entire fleet. Then you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and possibly even open your own. You can move to Athens or even San Francisco, and from there direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Greek.

"Fifteen, maybe twenty years," replied the Englishman. "But then it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can expand on a global scale. At that point you would be able to go public, start selling stocks and make millions, maybe billions!"

"Oh. And what would I do after that?" asked the fisherman.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, catch a few fish, play with your children, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking wine and singing songs."

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like exactly what you'd get from the average Cambridge student/applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me want to run away to Greece and fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Sounds like exactly what you'd get from the average Cambridge student/applicant.
    exactly.its such a truism

ReputationRep:
    Heard that before but it's a nice little story

ReputationRep:
    Nice story, thanks sleepyeba.

Some people might prefer the business challenge to the quiet life. The men in the story just have different tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)

not really convinced by that :confused: in that i should imagine (though i haven't seen the stats) about as many go into academia/teaching/public service jobs as those who go to 'the city'.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't that in an advert?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but it sounds really familiar.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, nice story.

I agree that some people are too obsessed with making money and it's more important to be happy, but I wouldn't say universities are pointless. You can learn a lot of useful things from them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.