This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I don't think there will be new universities built in the future. If there are new universities built, will they be still classified as ex polytechnics?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They probably will be a new classiciation for them. Didn't you say they were thinking of building one in Cumrbia?

The problem is at the moment there simply isn't a need for any new universities, they will be new universities created as a result of mergers but no brand new ones. However I think the HE sector will become a lot meaner and tougher and some universities may go under.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
O yeah, I said that they were building a uni in Cumbria. I think that is all the uni's in that area combined into one uni. Not sure though. If that is the case, it's still a ex-poly though.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev)
If there are new universities built, will they be still classified as ex polytechnics?
Well no, if new ones were built they wouldn't have ever been polytechics, hence they can't be ex polys.
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They sometimes change colleges into universities, like University College Suffolk, instead of Suffolk College like it used to be.
DenverDiva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The current term for those universities created in or since 1992 is Post-92s (if you are from a pre-92) or Modern Universities (if you are not).

It is very rare for anyone to refer to ex-polys - after all the change happened 13 years ago.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (66)
41.77%
Take autumn exams (54)
34.18%
Look for a job (4)
2.53%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.53%
Take a year out (21)
13.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.7%

Watched Threads