Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sounds good?

APU is being considered for full uni status. the Privy Council are choosing from the names Anglia University (may be confused with UEA), and Anglia Ruskin University.

It also has won alot of awards for business and ranks 6th for law according to the times good university guide 2005

for those applying to uni, come to apu cos when i applied most people thought it was shy t. but i think by the time i graduate its gonna be great, esp for law and business.

just thought i'd let u kno. what do you think of the name Anglia Ruskin Uni? sounds cool?

ReputationRep:
    The name sounds cool, as it gives tribute to that person. Nevertheless, I prefer the Anglia university or anglia metropolitan university.

ReputationRep:
    Um, doesn't it already have full uni status?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Um, doesn't it already have full uni status?
    Yep but they couldnt be bothered with the hassle and cost of changing the name..

ReputationRep:
    no Anglia Polytechnic its still a polytechnic. but im here now and the way its going, its gonna be good. the only thing holding it back is money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    no Anglia Polytechnic its still a polytechnic. but im here now and the way its going, its gonna be good. the only thing holding it back is money.
    It's a polytechnic in name only, like all other polys its been a proper uni since 1992.

ReputationRep:
    When someone I know asked aboout law careers, no top firm even mentioned this place, Times or no Times.

ReputationRep:
    Which is true of every university in the country. Even Oxford and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    sounds good?
    ...and ranks 6th for law according to the times good university guide 2005
    Sorry, this quote has been baffling me. A quick glance at the Law league table showed me this:

(Original post by Times Good University Guide: Law)
    45 Anglia 2 B 15.2 86 81.3
    I don't think thats 6th. Eh????

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it is 6th amongst the ex polys?

ReputationRep:
    maybe shes looking at an old table and is thinking the university of east anglia is anglia poly? i dont know. UEA is meant to be very good for law and even thought its 30 in the current table i can imagine its been much higher. or maybe as you say its 6th out of ex-polys.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this university is an ex-polytechnic, but the word 'polyetchnic' is still in the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I thought this university is an ex-polytechnic, but the word 'polyetchnic' is still in the name.
    Polytechnics don't actually exist anymore. They just wanted to pay tribute to their roots or something I think.

ReputationRep:
    http://web.apu.ac.uk/law/

see it is 6th in the country for law!

ReputationRep:
    "Law at APU ranks 6th in the league of new universities"

ReputationRep:
    http://web.apu.ac.uk/law/

see it is 6th in the country for law!
    6th so long as you ignore the great majority of the universities including all of those which are the elite.

ReputationRep:
    see?

it is best AND all shiny new!!

ReputationRep:
    see?

it is best AND all shiny new!!
    Well, its sixth "best" out of the "shiny and new" universities.

ReputationRep:
    sixth best out of the new universities. Thats 6th best out of all the ex polys. So that doesn't mean 6th best in the country at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think this has been settled. If a table ignores UCL, Oxford and cambridge etc for a subject like law, then it really isn't worth paying much attention to.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.