Watch
This discussion is closed.
magiccarpet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
sounds good?

APU is being considered for full uni status. the Privy Council are choosing from the names Anglia University (may be confused with UEA), and Anglia Ruskin University.

It also has won alot of awards for business and ranks 6th for law according to the times good university guide 2005

for those applying to uni, come to apu cos when i applied most people thought it was shy t. but i think by the time i graduate its gonna be great, esp for law and business.

just thought i'd let u kno. what do you think of the name Anglia Ruskin Uni? sounds cool?
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The name sounds cool, as it gives tribute to that person. Nevertheless, I prefer the Anglia university or anglia metropolitan university.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Um, doesn't it already have full uni status?
Krim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
Um, doesn't it already have full uni status?
Yep but they couldnt be bothered with the hassle and cost of changing the name..
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
no Anglia Polytechnic its still a polytechnic. but im here now and the way its going, its gonna be good. the only thing holding it back is money.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
no Anglia Polytechnic its still a polytechnic. but im here now and the way its going, its gonna be good. the only thing holding it back is money.
It's a polytechnic in name only, like all other polys its been a proper uni since 1992.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When someone I know asked aboout law careers, no top firm even mentioned this place, Times or no Times.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Which is true of every university in the country. Even Oxford and Cambridge.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sounds good?
...and ranks 6th for law according to the times good university guide 2005
Sorry, this quote has been baffling me. A quick glance at the Law league table showed me this:

(Original post by Times Good University Guide: Law)
45 Anglia 2 B 15.2 86 81.3
I don't think thats 6th. Eh????
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Perhaps it is 6th amongst the ex polys?
swallows
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
maybe shes looking at an old table and is thinking the university of east anglia is anglia poly? i dont know. UEA is meant to be very good for law and even thought its 30 in the current table i can imagine its been much higher. or maybe as you say its 6th out of ex-polys.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought this university is an ex-polytechnic, but the word 'polyetchnic' is still in the name.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I thought this university is an ex-polytechnic, but the word 'polyetchnic' is still in the name.
Polytechnics don't actually exist anymore. They just wanted to pay tribute to their roots or something I think.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
http://web.apu.ac.uk/law/

see it is 6th in the country for law!
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"Law at APU ranks 6th in the league of new universities"
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://web.apu.ac.uk/law/

see it is 6th in the country for law!
6th so long as you ignore the great majority of the universities including all of those which are the elite.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
see?

it is best AND all shiny new!!
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
see?

it is best AND all shiny new!!
Well, its sixth "best" out of the "shiny and new" universities.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sixth best out of the new universities. Thats 6th best out of all the ex polys. So that doesn't mean 6th best in the country at all.
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think this has been settled. If a table ignores UCL, Oxford and cambridge etc for a subject like law, then it really isn't worth paying much attention to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (5)
4.9%
Confident (10)
9.8%
Indifferent (11)
10.78%
Unsure (23)
22.55%
Worried (53)
51.96%

Watched Threads