The Student Room Group

Is my ex friend faking tourettes?

i have a friend who just screams alot and today she screamed at seagules before p.e started. After awhile, both of our ex friends came up to us asking why my friend was screaming and were laughing too. i told them my friend has this condition (forgot what its called) and they looked at us like we were weirdos. Then, one of them mentions all the problems they had like adhd, autism, dyslexia ect. BUT just today one of my ex friends told me she had tourettes. Shes never mentioned having tourettes so i did some research and saw she didnt have any of the symptons. She never even ticked once and doesnt do any of them the shoulder shrugging, blinking alot, ect. Should i confront her?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eeshaofc
i have a friend who just screams alot and today she screamed at seagules before p.e started. After awhile, both of our ex friends came up to us asking why my friend was screaming and were laughing too. i told them my friend has this condition (forgot what its called) and they looked at us like we were weirdos. Then, one of them mentions all the problems they had like adhd, autism, dyslexia ect. BUT just today she told me she had tourettes. Shes never mentioned having tourettes so i did some research and saw she didnt have any of the symptons. She never even ticked once and doesnt do any of them the shoulder shrugging, blinking alot, ect. Should i confront her?

Please dont go questionning.
Just because youv not seen any signs doesnt mean to say she diesnt have any. Ticks can come in so many variations, and you may not evwn notice them, as they may be minor but be triggered by certain situatiins where they can worsen.
She may be lying who knows, but dont question what someone is saying as if she does have tourettes she may feel aweful and that your judging her if your asking her.
Reply 2
Original post by PonchoKid
Please dont go questionning.
Just because youv not seen any signs doesnt mean to say she diesnt have any. Ticks can come in so many variations, and you may not evwn notice them, as they may be minor but be triggered by certain situatiins where they can worsen.
She may be lying who knows, but dont question what someone is saying as if she does have tourettes she may feel aweful and that your judging her if your asking her.

ok thank you, its just that she never mentioned having tourettes she only mentioned it yesterday which is why i was a bit suspcious
Reply 3
ok thank you, its just that she never mentioned having tourettes she only mentioned it yesterday which is why i was a bit suspcious

I have quite a few illnesses i dont tell peop, then randomly might 1 day when i feel comfortable, or it might be a new diagnosis. There could be any number of reasons.

I have bipolar and unless im very unwell you wouldnt know unless i told you by how i present :dontknow:
Are you her doctor?
If not then her health is none of your business (especially when you can’t decide if she’s your friend or ex-friend)
She is prob telling the truth.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Are you her doctor?
If not then her health is none of your business (especially when you can’t decide if she’s your friend or ex-friend)

not to be rude but i said that my ex friend looked at me weirdly and said she has tourettes, i wasnt talking about my other friend, sorry for not making it clear enough
i have a friend who just screams alot and today she screamed at seagules before p.e started. After awhile, both of our ex friends came up to us asking why my friend was screaming and were laughing too. i told them my friend has this condition (forgot what its called) and they looked at us like we were weirdos. Then, one of them mentions all the problems they had like adhd, autism, dyslexia ect. BUT just today one of my ex friends told me she had tourettes. Shes never mentioned having tourettes so i did some research and saw she didnt have any of the symptons. She never even ticked once and doesnt do any of them the shoulder shrugging, blinking alot, ect. Should i confront her?

I wouldn't assume that they don't have it as you might not know how it presents in them. There is a lot of stimga which there shouldn't be around neurodivergent conditions and potentially they have had people who have said that they are friends and they have ignored them once they disclosed this information so might be more nervous to disclose in case they are worried about loosing you.
Also some people with Touretts are able to supress the tics for a while even though this is incredibly uncofmortable and causes more tics after supressing so they might be doing this and having a tic attack in the toilets etc as they are worried about how others persieve them.
If you were curious you could ask them about their experience but don't pressure them into answering questions if they aren't comfortable answering them

Both my sons have tourettes. No one in their school knows except the teachers I told, none of their friends know. They are both at uni now and none of their flatmates have ever known. They hide it very well, whilst sufferers some can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending