The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All I know of Michael Howard is the infamous Paxman interview. That was very amusing.

Are his politics centre-right, or IDS standard right?
Reply 2
Alec

Are his politics centre-right, or IDS standard right?

He's right wing too. Same as Hague and IDS, although he has got to look more moderate for the Tories to have any chance of gaining anything.
Reply 3
pkonline
He's right wing too. Same as Hague and IDS, although he has got to look more moderate for the Tories to have any chance of gaining anything.

Im no expert on politics (espcially conservative policy) but the tories have an image of being upper class stuck up people who dont really have much of an idea about the lives of normal people. It is for this reason that I would never vote for them at present. I had to laugh when watching the news last nite when it was showing all the prospective leaders and none of them look like being able to lead the party. They really need someone like tony blair to win an election - whether its an image he puts on or not.
Reply 4
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAuptheirs.

Thanks, that was the most fun i've had in ages! (not counting freshers' week) :wink:
ho ho ho, ha ha ha ha, AGHHHH HA HA HA HA LOLOLOL @ Tories

They will never be in power again. I can imagine them with about 4 members saying "we'll be government next year - I'm certain of it"
Reply 6
i dont know if Michael Howard gives the right image, but i think he is certainly an able politician, and its a pity that the majority of this country are more obsessed with the former and not the latter. that carries for the forum evidently.

the BBC and Paxman(who i actually used to respect) did maximum damage over this. i dont regret removing BBC News 24 and BBC World from my subscription...really very disappointing.
Reply 7
vienna95
i dont know if Michael Howard gives the right image, but i think he is certainly an able politician, and its a pity that the majority of this country are more obsessed with the former and not the latter. that carries for the forum evidently.

Its not only about image, but you can't dismiss the Tory party's image. As someone already said, they do not look like a party reflecting society so how can these people understand what most people think, and therefore deliver appropriate policy?
Reply 8
pkonline
Its not only about image, but you can't dismiss the Tory party's image. As someone already said, they do not look like a party reflecting society so how can these people understand what most people think, and therefore deliver appropriate policy?

before you can criticise something it has to be defined. you cant be critical of the Tory image without actually defining it in relation to a definition of society. how is that image manifested, how is it broadcast and is it actually reflective of reality.

to reduce this to a crude observation,

the majority of this country oppose the ban on hunting..the tories are against.
the majority of this country is against the euro..the tories are against.
the majority of this country wants to scrap tuition fees and end admission targets...the tories support that

those are some key tory policies. are they not reflecting society?
Reply 9
where's edders when you need him.... :rolleyes:
Reply 10
elpaw
where's edders when you need him.... :rolleyes:

for what?
Reply 11
vienna95
before you can criticise something it has to be defined. you cant be critical of the Tory image without actually defining it in relation to a definition of society. how is that image manifested, how is it broadcast and is it actually reflective of reality.

to reduce this to a crude observation,

the majority of this country oppose the ban on hunting..the tories are against.
the majority of this country is against the euro..the tories are against.
the majority of this country wants to scrap tuition fees and end admission targets...the tories support that

those are some key tory policies. are they not reflecting society?

You've misunderstood me. Most Tories are seen to be posh, old, middle/upper class, public schooled, all white. Thats not reflective of society today. This does matter too - true policies are very important, but you cannot discount this.
Reply 12
im very excited at the moment; howard is my favourite for the job and it looks like he's going to get it. he'll do a brilliant job and win lots of seats at the next election.
Reply 13
pkonline
You've misunderstood me.
Most Tories are seen to be posh, old, middle/upper class, public schooled, all white. Thats not reflective of society today. This does matter too - true policies are very important, but you cannot discount this.

thankyou, another of my points devastatingly proven.
vienna95
i dont regret removing BBC News 24 and BBC World from my subscription...really very disappointing.

I thought they were free?
Reply 15
Howard's a comlete bastard, but he's the only one that Labour do actually fear, well, apart from Clarke.
Reply 16
vienna95
thankyou, another of my points devastatingly proven.

So you don't think image and representation matters at all? Would you not make a judgement based on these thing as well a policy? Say if the whole party were men - how would women feel? Say if the party were all old - how would the young feel; how could the party relate to issues surrounding youth?
Reply 17
Lord Huntroyde
Howard's a comlete bastard, but he's the only one that Labour do actually fear, well, apart from Clarke.

If they choose Howard then I'll be very pleased. At least another two terms for Labour :smile:!

Tories just don't get it...

I was listening to Ann Widecome yesterday deluding hersalf as usual saying they're gonna win - how sad!
It's a shame William Hague resigned, I thought he was really good. It wasn't until IDS took over that I realised how good he was.
Reply 19
pkonline
You've misunderstood me. Most Tories are seen to be posh, old, middle/upper class, public schooled, all white. Thats not reflective of society today. This does matter too - true policies are very important, but you cannot discount this.

Have you seen the Conservative candidate for Windsor?
Scroll down to the second article

OK he's rich, but not posh, and he could be the turning point.

Michael Howard went to a grammar school, not a public school, and his parents only came into the country soon after his birth.

David Davis grew up on a council estae and his mother was a single parent.

Latest

Trending

Trending