Let's all laugh at the Tories!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
So where are the minority groups then? I don't see 'em. Can you name some for me?
groups?
Vienna
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Why is everyone bothering arguing? It's obvious that everyone here is anti-tory (apart from vienna and edders), so why not let them keep their beliefs and just laugh at them at the next general election - because lets face it, the whole country will be laughing at the tories. The tories even being the oppostion is a joke let alone them actually getting in government.

In short - Tories and their supporters = one big joke.
another intelligent comment.
for or against, we are discussing tory health care policy. on that point you are in the minority, not us.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
the NHS is in a bad situation because it is underfunded and its capacity is not great enough. those who can afford large amounts of money to go on private sector health care do so. there lies a 2-tier system.

i have no doubt a millionaire will always take what he can afford, but HOW MANY MILLIONAIRES do you know?

the conservatives propose that by paying for a portion of private sector health care expenses, if you wish to take that route, those who can afford to pay the rest of the fees will do so, and spare the NHS another bed, and money for treatment. for many people this is a realistic option. you pay a small amount to use private sector capacity. people who wish to pay nothing will have the free of charge public sector health care at their service. this means that the NHS no longer is burdened with people who can afford to go elsewhere. it also means the private sector is funded, capacity grows and since they are the ones who fund research, this leads to an development in health care for all.

'and spare the NHS another bed, and money for treatment'

Those who can afford to pay will go private - and wont use the NHS bed anyway.

The Tories are just trying to wrap up a policy in sugar, so that they will get government money (otherwise going direct to the NHS) to pay in part for their private healthcare - which they would have been able to pay for anyway!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

The Tories are just trying to wrap up a policy in sugar, so that they will get government money (otherwise going direct to the NHS) to pay in part for their private healthcare - which they would have been able to pay for anyway!
Maybe they should make the private funding means tested that way only the poorest get subsidised and those that would have gone private anyway don't get government money.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Just wait till the election - im gonna love it! Landslide victory for Labour!
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

those that can afford 10,000 or 2,000?

get government money?
direct to the NHS? they wont reduce spending into the public sector, and bearing mind demand will fall, that is equivalent to an increase in spending per bed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Maybe they should make the private funding means tested that way only the poorest get subsidised and those that would have gone private anyway don't get government money.
Fantastc idea!

It might cost quite a bit in administration though.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Fantastc idea!

It might cost quite a bit in administration though.
I would deffo go for this idea...you should be in politics pencil queen!
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Just wait till the election - im gonna love it! Landslide victory for Labour!
i look forward to rubbing your nose in the 2005 general election result statistics
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by edders)
i look forward to rubbing your nose in the 2005 general election result statistics
That is the one quality i admire in the conservatives...their never ending optimism.

(IDS Quote - I WILL be leading the conservative party at the next election - two days later he is gone lol)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
That is the one quality i admire in the conservatives...their never ending optimism.

(IDS Quote - I WILL be leading the conservative party at the next election - two days later he is gone lol)
Innit You cant fault them on unfounded optimism!
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Innit You cant fault them on unfounded optimism!
LOL!
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

yes you have to admire his courage to say things like that. but seriously, im not deluding myself in thinking the tories will do much better in the next election. youre mistaken if you think new labour is still popular in england; i reckon the next election will result in a labour majority of say 30-60. not a landslide.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
LOL!
Dont you agree?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
yes you have to admire his courage to say things like that. but seriously, im not deluding myself in thinking the tories will do much better in the next election. youre mistaken if you think new labour is still popular in england; i reckon the next election will result in a labour majority of say 30-60. not a landslide.
But still a Labour majority!

Remember the Tories only won by 12 (I think - correct me if im wrong) in 1992 with John Major.
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
no your wrong...i just think he's a prat!

I can imagine IDS standing at the bottom of the twin towers making a huge speech - 'these towers will never fall!!!' as they collaspe around him! lol

*apologises for the example but that is the best i can think of lol
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
no your wrong...i just think he's a prat!

I can imagine IDS standing at the bottom of the twin towers making a huge speech - 'these towers will never fall!!!' as they collaspe around him! lol

*apologises for the example but that is the best i can think of lol
well IDS is already history, howard is more respectable.

But still a Labour majority!

Remember the Tories only won by 12 (I think - correct me if im wrong) in 1992 with John Major.
this is true. but once we get to the stage where the parties are more evenly balanced in terms of MPs the tories will be better able to hold the govt. to account and hopefully stop some of their barmy policies like abolishing trial by jury for some offenders.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Seeing as you come from a grammar school, you will never understand how much an advantage you have over people like me, from state schools.
I do go to a state school, a selective state school or a grammar. I pay this much a term to attend - £00.00
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
One of the target areas for Labour in 1997 was to win over the middle classes and big business.

Surely all stereotypes - left and right - are nowadays more blurred? You can get 'poor Tories' and 'posh Labour'.
I agree completely, I was just countering the 'Tory boy' stereotype which is obviously outdated now.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I do go to a state school, a selective state school or a grammar. I pay this much a term to attend - £00.00
It is still selective, which means that the students are on the whole more intelligent and therefore less likely to be into drugs/bullying/vandalising etc. Im from a stained state school so I know what goes on.

Without these distractions it is no wonder that grammar school children do better, and therefore should have a higher offer - reflecting the advantage they have had.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads