Let's all laugh at the Tories!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND

How many millionaires have you seeen queuing for 8 hours to get seen at their local NHS hospital?!?!?!?
Surely more people using private health companies relieves the strain on the NHS?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
It is still selective, which means that the students are on the whole more intelligent and therefore less likely to be into drugs/bullying/vandalising etc.
Careful with you're generalisations. The school from my area with the biggest drug problem was this one (ranked 31st in the country for GCSEs). Their students were in general better off and so able to afford drugs...the kids in my school (ranked 2681st in the country for GCSEs ) could only afford some tippex thinner and a 3 litre bottle of cider...hardly compares to coccaine problem that the rich kids had.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Surely more people using private health companies relieves the strain on the NHS?
It does, in the current system. The Tories want to get paid to go Private though - which they dont get paid to do now.

This money would be taken from public funds, which, under labour, would go straight into the NHS for poorer people who cant afford private healthcare - the needy ones!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Careful with you're generalisations. The school from my area with the biggest drug problem was this one (ranked 31st in the country for GCSEs). Their students were in general better off and so able to afford drugs...the kids in my school (ranked 2681st in the country for GCSEs ) could only afford some tippex thinner and a 3 litre bottle of cider...hardly compares to coccaine problem that the rich kids had.
LOL I like your example.

Bullying however is a big problem amongst comprehensives and with a lower student/staff ratio it is less easily tackled than in a slective grammar.
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
It does, in the current system. The Tories want to get paid to go Private though - which they dont get paid to do now.

This money would be taken from public funds, which, under labour, would go straight into the NHS for poorer people who cant afford private healthcare - the needy ones!
you make the mistake of thinking one is either rich or poor. what about the poor who can just about cope on their earnings? they cant afford private but would like to have that service because its readily available (ie not a huge queue for it). why shouldnt they be allowed to pay to go private with some help from the state? it reduces the queue for the others.
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
LOL I like your example.

Bullying however is a big problem amongst comprehensives and with a lower student/staff ratio it is less easily tackled than in a slective grammar.
Agreed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by edders)
you make the mistake of thinking one is either rich or poor. what about the poor who can just about cope on their earnings? they cant afford private but would like to have that service because its readily available (ie not a huge queue for it). why shouldnt they be allowed to pay to go private with some help from the state? it reduces the queue for the others.
Hmm i spose you are right there toryboy ;-)

Maybe the Tories should go for the middle/working class vote. They might win a lot more seats that way.
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Hmm i spose you are right there toryboy ;-)

Maybe the Tories should go for the middle/working class vote. They might win a lot more seats that way.
ah thanks
the tories have always gone for the middle/working class vote, as they were a centre ground party. if they didnt have the support of those people they wouldnt have been in power for 18 years.

the reason they lost in 1997 was because of:
1) black wednesday (in 1992 when interest rates went sky-high because of the crash in the value of the pound)
2) tony blair stole the tories clothes and occupied the centre ground they had previously been occupying
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by edders)
ah thanks
the tories have always gone for the middle/working class vote, as they were a centre ground party. if they didnt have the support of those people they wouldnt have been in power for 18 years.

the reason they lost in 1997 was because of:
1) black wednesday (in 1992 when interest rates went sky-high because of the crash in the value of the pound)
2) tony blair stole the tories clothes and occupied the centre ground they had previously been occupying
And
3) John Major :rolleyes:
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
It is still selective, which means that the students are on the whole more intelligent and therefore less likely to be into drugs/bullying/vandalising etc. Im from a stained state school so I know what goes on.

Without these distractions it is no wonder that grammar school children do better, and therefore should have a higher offer - reflecting the advantage they have had.
My school was on national news after seven pupils were expelled for being found with cannabis on them.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
My school was on national news after seven pupils were expelled for being found with cannabis on them.
So i take it, you got away with it?
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Show off

My school managed a stabbing...front page of the telegraph (admittedly only a tiny paragraph but hey it's fame )
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Show off

My school managed a stabbing...front page of the telegraph (admittedly only a tiny paragraph but hey it's fame )
We've never managed violence, but the head of chemistry burnt the science block down, though that was about twenty years ago.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
So i take it, you got away with it?
I was in year seven, who suspects first years?
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
And
3) John Major :rolleyes:
Major won the 1993 election single-handed, he went back to basics and won (narrowly) an election many Tories had given up on.
PQ
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
We've never managed violence, but the head of chemistry burnt the science block down, though that was about twenty years ago.
We had a paranoid delusionist from another school burn our science block down...back in the good old days (1994)...you cannot believe the joy that fills your heart when the news filters through that your school is on fire on the first day of the easter holidays
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
We had a paranoid delusionist from another school burn our science block down...back in the good old days (1994)...you cannot believe the joy that fills your heart when the news filters through that your school is on fire on the first day of the easter holidays
lol, someone nearly burnt the sixth form down, but the fire service were very quick.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
You get expelled for having cannabis on you at your school?
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
You get expelled for having cannabis on you at your school?
Not me, old people, I was only 11 at the time.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Not me, old people, I was only 11 at the time.
Sorry, that was a badly phrased question. Possession of cannabis is an offense worthy of expulsion at your school?

I only ask the question because I know that if this rule was brought in at my school, class sizes would be halved overnight.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads