Let's all laugh at the Tories!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Sorry, that was a badly phrased question. Possession of cannabis is an offense worthy of expulsion at your school?

I only ask the question because I know that if this rule was brought in at my school, class sizes would be halved overnight.
Yes it is, but only if you have it in school. If the police find you with out of school that is a suspension.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yes it is, but only if you have it in school. If the police find you with out of school that is a suspension.
Is it an actively enforced rule?
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Is it an actively enforced rule?
Yes very, the teachers are having a campaign against drugs. No one has ben caught recently but for a period about three people a week were suspended from school. I think it calmed down after complaints from parents who claimed their little angel wasn't taking drugs, but they were just looking after them for a friend or something.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yes very, the teachers are having a campaign against drugs. No one has ben caught recently but for a period about three people a week were suspended from school. I think it calmed down after complaints from parents who claimed their little angel wasn't taking drugs, but they were just looking after them for a friend or something.
Possession with intent to supply you mean
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Possession with intent to supply you mean
something like that, or sometimes if one person in a group was found with cannabis, the whole group was punished, so they had to calm it down.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
a change other than the pro-minority recruitment proposals they have now. they party is open to anyone to stand as a candidate. there are no discriminatory mechanisms.

why, because they dont stand for tory candidacy..
I can certainly see why the idea of standing doesnt appeal to women and ethnic minorities though. It may not be as a result of outright discrimination but its certainly something the Tories need to address. I think it may well be harming them electorally.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
It does, in the current system. The Tories want to get paid to go Private though - which they dont get paid to do now.

This money would be taken from public funds, which, under labour, would go straight into the NHS for poorer people who cant afford private healthcare - the needy ones!
can i first assume that by your use of Tory to mean those who can afford private health care and whos medical ailments are somehow less needy you are either uneducated or grossly prejudicial?

The conservative party will increase the possibility and choice to the public by paying a nominal percentage of their private health costs if they take that choice. this alleviates the strain on capacity that the NHS suffers from, allowing the quality of service for those who wish to receive free medical treatment to improve. you seem to forget that private health care users pay tax and are therefore paying for the NHS without ever using it.
this is on top of substantial reforms that would see among other things the control of the NHS return to the medical profession and not run by politicians from Whitehall. something that an out of date NHS drastically needs.

i am more concerned about the paradoxical problem, that private health care users would return to the NHS if quality of service improved.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I can certainly see why the idea of standing doesnt appeal to women and ethnic minorities though. It may not be as a result of outright discrimination but its certainly something the Tories need to address. I think it may well be harming them electorally.
the Tories or every political party? all have identical policies regarding candidate representation.

many prominent black personalities in the US have called for the black population to actually consider that en masse blind voting for the Democratic party may not be in their interests.

there is no point shouting louder if no one is listening.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
can i first assume that by your use of Tory to mean those who can afford private health care and whos medical ailments are somehow less needy you are either uneducated or grossly prejudicial?

The conservative party will increase the possibility and choice to the public by paying a nominal percentage of their private health costs if they take that choice. this alleviates the strain on capacity that the NHS suffers from, allowing the quality of service for those who wish to receive free medical treatment to improve. you seem to forget that private health care users pay tax and are therefore paying for the NHS without ever using it.
this is on top of substantial reforms that would see among other things the control of the NHS return to the medical profession and not run by politicians from Whitehall. something that an out of date NHS drastically needs.

i am more concerned about the paradoxical problem, that private health care users would return to the NHS if quality of service improved.
'The conservative party will increase the possibility and choice to the public by paying a nominal percentage of their private healthcare costs if they take that choice'.

Does this mean that EVERYONE who wants to go private will have their treatment partially paid for? Where will this money come from? Sucked out of the NHS I suppose since they are planning to REDUCE taxes.

People will still have to pay a proportion of the private healthcare cost, which can sometimes run into thousands, and so I dont really think that many people will take that option. They (Myself include) would much rather wait a few hours longer to be treated for free, than to have to pay (even a small amount - to you thats probably about one hundred pounds right? A half weeks wages to a working class person).

The working class wont gain from it at all, because the NHS wont get less crowded due to this scheme. People wont do it!
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
'The conservative party will increase the possibility and choice to the public by paying a nominal percentage of their private healthcare costs if they take that choice'.

Does this mean that EVERYONE who wants to go private will have their treatment partially paid for? Where will this money come from? Sucked out of the NHS I suppose since they are planning to REDUCE taxes.
of course. everyone in this country who pays tax is entitled to state contribution.private healthcare users are actually doing the NHS user a favour. the conservatives are planning to make a cut in tax, purely because under Labour the country is being robbed. this however does not mean an automatic reduction in spending power, again, anyone who has a basic grasp of fiscal economics can show that state surplus is linked to tax control but not directly reflective of it. the issues discussed here are the tip of the iceberg in regards to serious NHS reform that the conservatives would propose. by the number of rather uninformed questions littering the thread, i wonder how many people have actually glanced over the consultation papers forewarded by Liam Fox. in short, he believes that spending should increase rather than decrease, but throwing money at a dead horse will not and has not done anything to improve the health service to the public. reform would bring changes that would drastically improve the efficiency and spending power of the NHS.

People will still have to pay a proportion of the private healthcare cost, which can sometimes run into thousands, and so I dont really think that many people will take that option. They (Myself include) would much rather wait a few hours longer to be treated for free, than to have to pay (even a small amount - to you thats probably about one hundred pounds right? A half weeks wages to a working class person).
the percentage you would have to pay could be as high as 85%. it would also depend on the nature and context of the treatment. whether you would choose to pay or not, the number of people able to afford a 10,000 pound operation for 2,000 would dramatically increase.

The working class wont gain from it at all, because the NHS wont get less crowded due to this scheme. People wont do it!
thats a matter of opinion,but as i said it is merely one policy issue among very many. the principle of the conservative policy is to reform the NHS, allowing control to be put in the hands of the medical profession, to give power back to your GP who would not be under the scrutiny of pen-pushing management eager to meet targets. the pressure on the NHS WOULD be alleviated if more people went to private health care resources, even on pay-as-you-go schemes. studies in more than several european countries who run similar systems show that it does indeed work. and living on the continent i can assure you they enjoy a higher standard of healthcare than we do.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Vienna

Methinks you have way too much time on your hands.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Vienna

Methinks you have way too much time on your hands.
i have to read it all, i have responsibility.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i have to read it all, i have responsibility.
What? TO deliver the "Good news"? :rolleyes:
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
What? TO deliver the "Good news"? :rolleyes:
i advise/generate opinion for the person who runs the office of a prominent Conservative politician.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
The main problem i see with the probable new leader of the conservatives, is the same problem with most tory leaders. The fact that they are elected as leaders of the conservative party, and not as potential prime ministers. Someone who can draw voters away from the other parties. Because the majority of the population, who dislike the conservative party, for simply how they look as a party, the sort of image they represent etc, and know little of politics.
The conservatives need to elect someone charismatic, with a good public image, who can display themselves as a real alternative.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
The main problem i see with the probable new leader of the conservatives, is the same problem with most tory leaders. The fact that they are elected as leaders of the conservative party, and not as potential prime ministers. Someone who can draw voters away from the other parties. Because the majority of the population, who dislike the conservative party, for simply how they look as a party, the sort of image they represent etc, and know little of politics.
The conservatives need to elect someone charismatic, with a good public image, who can display themselves as a real alternative.

i agree, although i dont see that image is static. in the present case, while Howard may have a less than great image now, i think when the Hutton Inquiry comes back, Howard is just the man to give Tony a dressing down and give the public the idea that someone can take on Blair and win. I know Labour supporters are particuarly concerned.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i agree, although i dont see that image is static. in the present case, while Howard may have a less than great image now, i think when the Hutton Inquiry comes back, Howard is just the man to give Tony a dressing down and give the public the idea that someone can take on Blair and win. I know Labour supporters are particuarly concerned.
Yeah, i see your point, but how much, honestly, do you think most people actually care about the Hutton enquiry? I'm not saying it isn't important, but to most people, that sort of thing probably wont make much influence on their voting.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Yeah, i see your point, but how much, honestly, do you think most people actually care about the Hutton enquiry? I'm not saying it isn't important, but to most people, that sort of thing probably wont make much influence on their voting.
as you said people go with a feeling, an image, the same image they are fed by the papers and by the tv. the Hutton Inquiry and some pressure on Blair will be centre stage as far as the media is concerned. whether they care about the Hutton Inquiry or not, they will certainly take away the medias impression of events and more importantly the standing of both men.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
as you said people go with a feeling, an image, the same image they are fed by the papers and by the tv. the Hutton Inquiry and some pressure on Blair will be centre stage as far as the media is concerned. whether they care about the Hutton Inquiry or not, they will certainly take away the medias impression of events and more importantly the standing of both men.
But the problem is, although politically, Howard is the right person to challenge Blair on this, is his own image good enough to capitalise in the media?
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
But the problem is, although politically, Howard is the right person to challenge Blair on this, is his own image good enough to capitalise in the media?
there are two issues, 1) if Howard gives the media what they want ie. get Blair on the rack. apply the pressure. if he doesnt go far enough then it will come back on him
2) how much the the BBC are willing to drop their anti-right wing agenda to get revenge on Blair.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.51%
Okay (113)
29.05%
A bit lacking (147)
37.79%
Not good at all (92)
23.65%

Watched Threads