Let's all laugh at the Tories!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
How narrow.
no, i just know its the best party for me
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
I want every person to earn exactly the same amount of money (to the penny).
and its value would be?
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by edders)
no, i just know its the best party for me
For the rest of your life? How ridiculous! Unless you are psychic.

It really annoys me when people take this attitude - you are no better than someone who doesn't vote, because they are too lazy.
Bigcnee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
and its value would be?
Righteous equality.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I want every person to earn exactly the same amount of money (to the penny).
Ooh I don't like that. Why should people with a negative attitude who would only work 'cos they don't have the choice not to (to make a living) be rewarded the same amount as motivated, dedicated people with a desire to work hard and earn a greater, deserved reward as a result?

If we have it that everyone earns the same, worker motivation would drop at the higher end as there's less incentive to go on to bigger and better things.
Bigcnee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Ooh I don't like that. Why should people with a negative attitude who would only work 'cos they don't have the choice not to (to make a living) be rewarded the same amount as motivated, dedicated people with a desire to work hard and earn a greater, deserved reward as a result?

If we have it that everyone earns the same, worker motivation would drop at the higher end as there's less incentive to go on to bigger and better things.
I was joking.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Righteous equality.
How is it righteous. Fact: Some people are more able / efficient / motivated than others. Whether it's down to genetics, their environment or background is not the issue. People who work harder or do more highly skilled work should earn more.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Righteous equality.
i meant what would be the need for money...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by edders)
i look forward to voting conservative in every single election (local, europe, general) for the rest of my life.
"for the rest of my life"?

No matter what? This sort of statement could trip you up in future, and for an Oxbridge wannabe it shows a distinct absence of consideration. As for "look forward"!! Look forward to Christmas by all means - voting really isn't that thrilling.
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I think edders is a lemming...although a blue one at that lol
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
"for the rest of my life"?

No matter what? This sort of statement could trip you up in future, and for an Oxbridge wannabe it shows a distinct absence of consideration. As for "look forward"!! Look forward to Christmas by all means - voting really isn't that thrilling.

can i offer you a quick escape hatch edders? were you not merely expressing your desire that, as a firm believer in conservative values, you were looking forward to the party taking those most agreeable of policy lines for the near future. your comment was nothing more than the expression of hope and belief that come rain or shine, the tories will stick by those same values no matter what. only the words of a proud conservative supporter surely??

In his memoirs, Mr Major wrote: "Michael is clever and able, but in private is a shy and charming man, with an unstuffy, self-deprecating manner. He was always at his best without an audience; in public he could not help stirring things up.

"Too many people saw the polished barrister on the surface, and took against what they saw. They missed the substance underneath."
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
can i offer you a quick escape hatch edders? were you not merely expressing your desire that, as a firm believer in conservative values, you were looking forward to the party taking those most agreeable of policy lines for the near future. your comment was nothing more than the expression of hope and belief that come rain or shine, the tories will stick by those same values no matter what. only the words of a proud conservative supporter surely??

In his memoirs, Mr Major wrote: "Michael is clever and able, but in private is a shy and charming man, with an unstuffy, self-deprecating manner. He was always at his best without an audience; in public he could not help stirring things up.

"Too many people saw the polished barrister on the surface, and took against what they saw. They missed the substance underneath."
Hmm. Perhaps this is what he "meant". However, it's not what he said. He not only displayed a complete lack of foresight but sounded ever so slightly sad in the process.
pkonline
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
@ PKonline

Glorious Villa 1 - 0 Dirty Foxes

Villa 1 - 0 Leicester Reserves

I think Villa are doing well and will be pleased with a good mid-table position. Us - will be a difficult season!

Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hmm. Perhaps this is what he "meant". However, it's not what he said. He not only displayed a complete lack of foresight but sounded ever so slightly sad in the process.
he said i look forward to supporting the conservatives..
although it lacked context, i cant see how it could be construed as blindly supporting a name.

lack of foresight?
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I like to look at the government in power and ask whether i think they are delivering on their promises and if they are actually making a difference. In this case I think that labour are (although some quite slowly) and so will vote for labour again.

I think for any one government to make a real difference, they have to be in power for quite a long time - labour's plans are all long term and I have seen real improvements and promises being met (i work for local government so i can see the money being invested / changes).

Well lets face it, there isnt any opposition to vote for. I see it as keep in labour who are doing what i think is quite a good job or vote conservatives who are split, arguing, just kicked out their leader, have no real explanation for how they will finance most of their promises.

I say keep with labour.
Vienna
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I like to look at the government in power and ask whether i think they are delivering on their promises and if they are actually making a difference. In this case I think that labour are (although some quite slowly) and so will vote for labour again.

I think for any one government to make a real difference, they have to be in power for quite a long time - labour's plans are all long term and I have seen real improvements and promises being met (i work for local government so i can see the money being invested / changes).

Well lets face it, there isnt any opposition to vote for. I see it as keep in labour who are doing what i think is quite a good job or vote conservatives who are split, arguing, just kicked out their leader, have no real explanation for how they will finance most of their promises.

I say keep with labour.
interesting, your willing to allow long term policies time to mature, yet alot of labours policies come directly from the mouth of none other than Rt Hon Michael Howard.
Peeping Thomas
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I look forward to voting labour for ever and ever amen.
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
interesting, your willing to allow long term policies time to mature, yet alot of labours policies come directly from the mouth of none other than Rt Hon Michael Howard.
I'm not saying that they don't, but the fact is labour are actioning them and developing them. I think that a change of government at the next election will only slow down our progress.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Policies such as ...
not1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i meant i believe in 'conservatives values' enough to want to consistently support them in all elections. i dislike the other two parties enough not to want to vote for them for the long term; as i always want to use my vote then it looks like ill be voting for the tories for the foreseeable future.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.51%
Okay (113)
29.05%
A bit lacking (147)
37.79%
Not good at all (92)
23.65%

Watched Threads