The Student Room Group

Why do Aldi give a 40k starting salary and a fully financed car?

I'm looking to change careers at the moment, and while my intention is to enter the field of journalism, the notorious Aldi offer jumped out at me again. Is the job actually that bad that they need to give you all that money? Or is it just that Aldi, as a cheapo supermarket, wouldn't be able to attract top quality people otherwise? Do you think it would be a come down in terms of honor, going from a university professor in California with three degrees to working as a supermarket manager? My parents think it's a terrible idea and that I'm throwing away a glittering career and fine education, despite the fact the Aldi job pays twice as much before we take into consideration gas for the car.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jesus christ. Thanks for telling me about this
Reply 2
i thought journalists were lucky to earn 30k?
Reply 3
ColdVein
Jesus christ. Thanks for telling me about this

No worries. It's actually quite famous for being the best paying job outside of the City for recent graduates.
Reply 4
hahaha, i still can't belive they give £40,000.
Reply 5
I think you're reading too much into it. Just because it's a cheap supermarket/store, doesn't mean to say that the company doesn't make enough money to pay its employees well. Even the checkout and floor staff get paid well; one of the best store assistant wages around here, apart from B&Q, who pay all their staff in equal jobs the same wage, regardless of age.

Lidl is pretty good for it as well.
Reply 6
tom//
i thought journalists were lucky to earn 30k?

The job at the Mail I'm applying for pays 16k, though it's based in Yorkshire.

But yes, mid-level editors get about 30k.
Reply 7
bret
Do you think it would be a come down in terms of honor, going from a university professor in California with three degrees to working as a supermarket manager.

You're a professor with three degrees ??

still taking advice from your parents? ; /
Only £40k? :rolleyes:
Reply 9
A university professor at 24, that's good going my friend.
My neighbour used to work in Aldi, and she says it is a very stressful and demanding job with long hours. Think about it before rushing into it.
wow, I'd go in for it if I didnt loathe office work! I think its just because they have high income.
Reply 12
because you work so much you have to live in your car.
Reply 13
Gary10k
You're a professor with three degrees ??

still taking advice from your parents? ; /

Yeah, a BA and two Masters, but I still care about what my parents think. I want to make them proud.
cheap supermarket usually means higher profits which = more money to throw at graduates

It's really a question of money over dreams and I myself will be tempted when I (hopefully) get my degree.
bret
I'm looking to change careers at the moment, and while my intention is to enter the field of journalism, the notorious Aldi offer jumped out at me again. Is the job actually that bad that they need to give you all that money? Or is it just that Aldi, as a cheapo supermarket, wouldn't be able to attract top quality people otherwise? Do you think it would be a come down in terms of honor, going from a university professor in California with three degrees to working as a supermarket manager? My parents think it's a terrible idea and that I'm throwing away a glittering career and fine education, despite the fact the Aldi job pays twice as much before we take into consideration gas for the car.

I'm not sure you would be elligible? The scheme is for graduates of British universities, unless you've been to one anyway.
The job isn't as a store manager either, it's for a more integral role in the company.
And is it reputable, if you mean that the times best graduate employers brought it in at 2# this year... don't dent it!!
Reply 16
Why? what kind of question is that? :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Masucha
A university professor at 24, that's good going my friend.

In the US everyone who teaches is called a professor. I'm what would be called a reader at Cambridge or a lecturer at other universities. But I have done pretty well to get in this position. It just bores the crap out of me and I have no friends here.
DarkWhite
I think you're reading too much into it. Just because it's a cheap supermarket/store, doesn't mean to say that the company doesn't make enough money to pay its employees well. Even the checkout and floor staff get paid well; one of the best store assistant wages around here, apart from B&Q, who pay all their staff in equal jobs the same wage, regardless of age.

Lidl is pretty good for it as well.

Very true, Aldi checkout staff are very well paid, but there'll only be a very small number per store and they have a lot more responsibilities than your average tesco/morrisons worker as a result.

The OP needs to realise that just because it's Aldi offering the graduate programme doesn't necessarily mean they're desperate to get people in. It's an incredibly successful supermarket and is very good at what it does, don't underestimate it.

I can imagine you'll have to be very good and work bloody hard to succeed in their grad scheme (you'll probably need to demonstrate previous management roles too), and they certainly won't take people on with that attitude!
Reply 19
bexicle89
I'm not sure you would be elligible? The scheme is for graduates of British universities, unless you've been to one anyway.
The job isn't as a store manager either, it's for a more integral role in the company.
And is it reputable, if you mean that the times best graduate employers brought it in at 2# this year... don't dent it!!

I have two degrees from Cambridge and am a British citizen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending