The Student Room Group

tips for applying to physics and astronomy at durham?

title - i'd just like to have some tips such as what i could be doing rn, etc.
im currently in y12 and study maths, chem and physics : )

also, if possible, could u guys suggest some resources for chem and physics (apart from pmt) as i havent rly found any good resources for those subjects.
Reply 1
bump : )
Reply 2
You could do some of these Moocs (short online Uni courses - free) over the summer - Free Physics Courses - Study Physics Online - FutureLearn or listen to relevant topics from BBC's Life Scientific - BBC Sounds - The Life Scientific - Available Episodes
Reply 3
thank you so much! i didnt even know these existed so thats really useful : )
Hey, I'm not a physics & astronomy student but I do study physics at Durham so I'm more than happy to help out! Although Durham doesn't have an entrance test (at least it didn't when I applied, I doubt things have changed that quickly), it is quite competitive on entry in terms of GCSEs and predicted A-levels, so the most important thing I'd say to focus on is getting a strong set of predicted grades to apply with.

The MOOCs as sent above and other activities like books are great for the personal statement, but I'd also recommend having something to talk about that demonstrates your physics aptitude, like physics/astronomy olympiad stuff or summer schools, Isaac Physics problem solving, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Original post by LaraDiamonds18
Hey, I'm not a physics & astronomy student but I do study physics at Durham so I'm more than happy to help out! Although Durham doesn't have an entrance test (at least it didn't when I applied, I doubt things have changed that quickly), it is quite competitive on entry in terms of GCSEs and predicted A-levels, so the most important thing I'd say to focus on is getting a strong set of predicted grades to apply with.
The MOOCs as sent above and other activities like books are great for the personal statement, but I'd also recommend having something to talk about that demonstrates your physics aptitude, like physics/astronomy olympiad stuff or summer schools, Isaac Physics problem solving, etc.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

I do hope you don't mind me coming into this conversation and picking your brains a little.

I finished my A-levels back in 2008 and went to Sheffield to study maths. Due to health issues I had to take a significant time out and I'm now completing the maths degree with the Open University.

Outside of study, I work as a (qualified) accountant.
I also live near Durham.

I'm interested in returning to university as a mature student, potentially to do Durham's theoretical physics 4-year course after rounding off my studied with the OU (on target for a 1st)

Could you tell me a bit about whether a house-owning mature student would fit into Durham?
Also, given my education background, how would Durham measure me against the entrance requirements in your view?

Thanks 😁
Original post by mathperson
I do hope you don't mind me coming into this conversation and picking your brains a little.
I finished my A-levels back in 2008 and went to Sheffield to study maths. Due to health issues I had to take a significant time out and I'm now completing the maths degree with the Open University.
Outside of study, I work as a (qualified) accountant.
I also live near Durham.
I'm interested in returning to university as a mature student, potentially to do Durham's theoretical physics 4-year course after rounding off my studied with the OU (on target for a 1st)
Could you tell me a bit about whether a house-owning mature student would fit into Durham?
Also, given my education background, how would Durham measure me against the entrance requirements in your view?
Thanks 😁

Are you going to be self funding the integrated masters? I don't think the SFE will give you any help to study the same levels you've completed with the OU, even if you paid for the OU out of your own pocket.

Quick Reply

Latest