The Student Room Group

If i have a Cert HE qualification, can i still get funding for a bachelors afterward?

I have been accepted into a 1 year course in dental nursing and i know i'll be eligible for full student finance, but i was wondering if this would effect my ability to get a 3 year Dental Hygiene bachelor degree funding? Because the Cert HE course is equivalent to the first year of a bachelors degree, would I have to fund year 1 of the bachelors?

Also do CertHE students get maintenance loans?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by oceanlov3r
I have been accepted into a 1 year course in dental nursing and i know i'll be eligible for full student finance, but i was wondering if this would effect my ability to get a 3 year Dental Hygiene bachelor degree funding? Because the Cert HE course is equivalent to the first year of a bachelors degree, would I have to fund year 1 of the bachelors?

Also do CertHE students get maintenance loans?

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you have any other previous study other than this 1 year course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm if you have any other previous study other than this 1 year course?

Thanks,
Claire

No this would be my first study above level 3.
No this would be my first study above level 3.

Based on what you have advised you should still be eligible for finance for the degree. When are you thinking of doing this?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Based on what you have advised you should still be eligible for finance for the degree. When are you thinking of doing this?

Thanks,
Claire

Well i would do the year course from sept 2024-2025 and then the degree from sept 2025-2028.
Well i would do the year course from sept 2024-2025 and then the degree from sept 2025-2028.

Our applications for each academic year would normally open in March. Keep checking our website and social media channels for further updates on applications opening.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Our applications for each academic year would normally open in March. Keep checking our website and social media channels for further updates on applications opening.

Thanks,
Claire

Would you be able to explain why the ELQ rules wouldn't apply in my case? I assumed they would apply because if i already have a Cert HE when i start my bachelors degree, wouldn't the year 1 of my bachelors degree count as an equivalent qualification to the Cert HE? or do the ELQ rules only apply to the overall qualification gained, for example a fully completed 3 year bachelors wouldn't be equal or equivalent to the Cert HE.
Would you be able to explain why the ELQ rules wouldn't apply in my case? I assumed they would apply because if i already have a Cert HE when i start my bachelors degree, wouldn't the year 1 of my bachelors degree count as an equivalent qualification to the Cert HE? or do the ELQ rules only apply to the overall qualification gained, for example a fully completed 3 year bachelors wouldn't be equal or equivalent to the Cert HE.

Hi there,

It's the overall qualification gained. Thanks, Ross
Reply 8
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

It's the overall qualification gained. Thanks, Ross
But ive seen others say that even though some people are eligible for funding despite having previous study, that its up to the discretion of the advisor to determine if they get funding or not. I dont want to risk not having funding for a BA if it's just up to someones opinion on whether or not i should have it due to having a CertHE.
Hi there,

The course is classed as exception so it wouldn't follow the standard previous study rules for non exempt courses. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending